Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this make a suitable quarentine?
It's large enough to put in some toweling, Cut a plastic cup for a hide and use a few fake plants for easy clean up.
And they are only 3.00 at Dollar General.

So what do you guys think?
BTW its not an air tight fit but it does lock on with the blue clips on the sides.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
If you are going with amazonicus or a similarly sized frog, be sure that the QT tank does not have gaps around the handles or clips. You would be surprised how little space they need to squeeze through. Also check the space between the lid and tub. Sometimes I use tape, pulled tight, to eliminate the gap between the lid and the tub.

So, yea, as long as you consider any escape routes, those containers look fine, IMO.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I bought a few of the containers in your picture to transport some frogs to and from a friend's place. They were fine with the adult frogs, but the Anthonyi that I was picking up were able to climb up into the rim--and almost escaped.
I also think you will want a little more room for your frog(s) in quarantine. I personally prefer to use the Sterilite "Keep Safe Storage" boxes (look at Target). They have a neoprene gasket around the edge, and have the "locking" clips on the side. They have a floor area of about 10" x 16". You'll need to add ventilation to these containers--which is easily achieved by cutting a hole or two in the center of the lid with a razor knife, and attaching some plastic canvas (from a craft store) with some Silicone (be sure to use the GE "Formula for Plastic Sheets and Other Plastics"--usually found at Lowe's/Home Depot near the plexiglass).

Here's a link to another thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/me...9329-new-temporary-quarrantine-container.html

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
A hot glue gun also works well to attach the screen to the keep safe totes... It takes only a couple of minutes to prep a container.

I would also suggest something a little taller like the keep safe totes or you will have to get good at recapturing frogs that shoot out as you open the container.

Ed

·
Registered
791 Posts
What kind of toweling? I think earthfrog mentioned somewhere that the regular white paper towels can contain a harmful bleaching agent...

·
Registered
78 Posts
that should be fine add some holes for ventalation and i would use a thin layer of cocofiber it wll retain moisture as well as give him grip in the slick tub

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok ill keep looking for something else as for towel ing im looking for some brown towels but havent found yet (nothing in Q T yet just preparing I did get some bounty quilted napkins (no Print or dye but yes White)

Good thing is if these are not suitable i have 3 kids that can use them lol

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Try a staples or other office supply store for the brown paper towels as they are often used by corporations.

Ed

·
Registered
725 Posts
i say skip the paper towels and just use sphagnum peat moss with leaf litter over that

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
For quarantine/froglet grow-outs I use a layer of moist sphagnum and a pothos cutting. I also add a few hides, whether it's some film cans scattered around or a coco hut. Very simple and effective set-up. If you're treating for parasites or trying to get fecals I'd recommend using paper towel as a substrate... the kind without bleach or any harmful chemicals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts