Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a bunch of cuttings of some various Gesnerids such as Aeschynanthus, Codonanthe, Columnea and Nematanthus. They are all the commonly grown houseplant species so i guess they should go well in a viv but just wondering are they all best grown as an epiphyte? They are all vining/trailing but some seem to have a more upright growth then others, should the ones with the more upright growth be grown as terrestrials?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
All should be grown as a "damp epiphyte" meaning that they do well in a loose ABG style mix that is always slightly damp but well draining. Dont let them dry like you would a bromeliad or orchid.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
How bright and warm is your tank?

--For a typical pdf set up, Columnea and Aeschynanthus will work, but bear in mind the lipstick vine gets fairly robust;
--Nematanthus works, but needs higher light for good blooming;
--Codonanthe and XCodonatanthus work well, and don;t quite the high light preferred by Nematanthus. They will take a bit more dryness than a Columnea or Aeschynanthus (but like Josh says, not as dry as a Tillandsia!)

For a pdf tank, I would try a smaller Columnea or Codonanthe. Try mounting a rooted cutting on a nice slab of treefern, with a bit of NZS over the roots--they establish fairly quickly in humid environments.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Episcias are great--- 'Dixie Dynamite' is a fave of mine which has always flourished in hard conditions at times. They need good lighting to bring out the color contrast in the leaves.

BTW it's spelled gesneriads

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
sinningias...the mini types are an especially cool ground cover addition, and will hold up to frog traffic once established.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
...are they all best grown as an epiphyte? They are all vining/trailing but some seem to have a more upright growth then others, should the ones with the more upright growth be grown as terrestrials?
Addendum: They are all probably best grown as epiphytes, or at least planted above the substrate (in hidden pots, tree forks, crevices, etc.) These guys cannot stand saturation, and many of our vivaria have very moist substrates. Dave and Earthfrog are right about Sinningia and Episcia as terrestrials.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Good terrestrials: Episcia, Kohleria, Nemathanthus, Gloxinella, Gesneria, Diastema, and some Sinningia (pusilla is great)

Many Sinningias are lithophytes that grow in pockets of soil on rocky cliffs/slopes; and need good drainage too.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Good terrestrials: Episcia, Kohleria, Nemathanthus, Gloxinella, Gesneria, Diastema, and some Sinningia (pusilla is great)

Many Sinningias are lithophytes that grow in pockets of soil on rocky cliffs/slopes; and need good drainage too.
I can't speak for other types but I'm finding sinningia "white sprite" to be remarkably tolerant of moist conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts