Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first build i made myself. Any suggestions ?
Plants are peacock fern, p emergenella, purple passion, marcgravia , rhaphidophora pachyphylla, oak ficus , begonia bandit, begonia burkilli, rabbit foot fern, pillow moss, callisia repens, pilea depressa, neoregalia

·
Registered
D. tinctorius azureus
61 Posts
Assuming that this viv will house frogs, I've learned from others on this forum that lots of leaf litter is very important for the health of frogs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming that this viv will house frogs, I've learned from others on this forum that lots of leaf litter is very important for the health of frogs.
Waiting a month or two before I add frogs.. I will add more leaf litter thanks. I was under the impression that the leaf litter was more for sake of microfauna?

·
Registered
D. tinctorius azureus
61 Posts
Microfauna is one component of leaf litter but it's also important for frogs to be able to dry there toes on and such. Hopefully someone else that's more knowledgable will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
You are both right. Frogs absolutely need lots of dry surfaces lest they rot their feet, and since frogs eat microfauna (and some froglets only eat microfauna, for a short time anyway), the function of the leaf litter to provide foraging area is very important.

What species of frog will be housed in there? That should drive the plant selection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are both right. Frogs absolutely need lots of dry surfaces lest they rot their feet, and since frogs eat microfauna (and some froglets only eat microfauna, for a short time anyway), the function of the leaf litter to provide foraging area is very important.

What species of frog will be housed in there? That should drive the plant selection.
Ranitomeya

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Absolutely much more leaf litter. Some thumb species spend a lot of time hanging out in the litter, and all of them do a lot of springtail feeding. More climbing opportunities for most species would be good, too.

More broms, plant wise, especially if you're going to keep egg feeders (figuring out which species, not just which genus, will help) and let them raise their own tads. If that is a 12 x 12 x 18 as it looks to me, then adding more different species of plants isn't a good idea anyway -- likely the broms and ficus will take over the entire viv anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

There is a slight vinegar smell after I planted so going to wait for silicone smell to go away . Before I change anything or add mo
Absolutely much more leaf litter. Some thumb species spend a lot of time hanging out in the litter, and all of them do a lot of springtail feeding. More climbing opportunities for most species would be good, too.

More broms, plant wise, especially if you're going to keep egg feeders (figuring out which species, not just which genus, will help) and let them raise their own tads. If that is a 12 x 12 x 18 as it looks to me, then adding more different species of plants isn't a good idea anyway -- likely the broms and ficus will take over the entire viv anyway.
After I planted, the vinegar smell came back so going to wait before I change anything.. was going to add a bunch of film canisters. Probably some imitators or vanzos . . . Should I actually remove all the other plants ..? Besides the ficus and brom....

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
You could leave all the plants for now and see what thrives. Sometimes the ficus fails to establish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a slight vinegar smell after I planted so going to wait for silicone smell to go away . Before I change anything or add mo

After I planted, the vinegar smell came back so going to wait before I change anything.. was going to add a bunch of film canisters. Probably some imitators or vanzos . . . Should I actually remove all the other plants ..? Besides the ficus and brom....
That was the plan. I'm hoping the birkilii does and the selanginella do well. . (The pilea and callisia are in the net pots up top so they have no competition)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts