Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ive been keeping fish for years, and breeding snakes for a while. And ive allways wanted to get into PDF's so i figure its time to make my first viv.

1) i was thinking about having two large breeding colonys, about 2 males and 6 females.

2) lots of space to experiment with planing (will be a while till i get the frogs, cuz i want to play arround)

3) Abroeal frogs so i can create a large tall viv, hopefully allowing me to plants lots of drier tinsillidias in the top.

what size would you suggest, what frogs would you suggest.

im going to be including an ultrasonic external mister like the ones from Vivarium.nl, and a misting system. Please give me an idea how many nozzles i should have for the size of vivarium soecified.

I apreceate that large viv's might need to be heated differently, how would you go about heating a large viv, day and night. Im a real fan of Habistats, and will probably use one of their day night thermo's, maybee a dimmerstat? as pulsproportional would be annoying on lights.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hello,

PDFs unlike fish, do better in groups with more males than females. Female frogs can harrass each other to the point of death and often will kill the other's eggs. Most serious breeders keep only pairs to maximize the output. However, it sounds to me like you want more of a display type set up. Either way I would reverse your numbers and go with 6 males and 2 females if you want 8 frogs.

I understand the urge to have truely aboreal frogs but you may not be happy with them in a large viv.

You could go a few ways.
1) You could create a heavily planted viv and add a thumbnail species to compliment the plants with the understanding you would not see them too often. You would get to hear their call and it would be very natural.
2) You could also create a wide but tall viv with a larger tinc species. They would not climb the glass but with some careful planning you could have multi levels that the frogs would use. Then use the extra height of the tank to plant vine like plants to droop down or create a giant waterfall. You could try a giant bromiliad as a focal point as well.
3) Leucs have a lot of advantages. They have a great call and like to stay at the middle levels of the viv (right in site). I have found them to be very bold and right away people notice their bright colors. Leucs do great in groups as well. You will want to provide a few larger pieces of wood angled up the sides of the viv to allow the leucs access to the upper levels of the viv.

-Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So which tinc's would you suggest?

I much prefer the colouration of the tincs's to the Leuc's as my snakes that i breed are very simmilar colours.

Is there a tinc that would prefer to climb?

·
Registered
230 Posts
The tincs I have will climb sometimes, but they are mostly ground dwellers and only go up when they "feel" like it. You would need to make "ramps" with wood or cork bark for them to feel comfortable doing this. Mine will climb the cork bark background, but usually just to get to their sleep spaces. I find them climbing all over the plants (some get trampled).

I agree with Richard about the leucs. If you want a more arboreal species then leucs are much more likely to climb than tincs.

Hope this helps.

-Ben

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only other species id really like to keep initially would be the Azureas, what are they like at climbing? any good.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Azureus are generally not climbers. I guess the point I was trying to make is if you use a lot of drift wood sloped on wide angles going to different levels of the tank the frogs should use them. Make like froggie highways. This will also depend on your frogs personality. There is a pet store with a pair of azureus that are always at the mid level of the tank. The tank is maybe 4 to 5 feet high but they use giant pieces of wood and huge broms to really break it up the height. It almost seems like the frogs don't even realize they are up 2 feet off the ground.

-Richard

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It makes sense that the azureus (which are terrestrial animals) would be found 2-3 feet off the ground. Arborial animals in the natural sense are often found 20-30 feet up. Just because they are terrestrial animals doesn't mean they spend their entire life with their feet on the ground. I find that my azureus only climb when they want to get around the tank (it's slightly overgrown) but my leucs seem to climb just because it's there. Many of them have elevated sleeping places, where my azureus sleep in plants on the ground, or in their (so far in vain) breeding hut.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys, im hoping to start a breeding colony, so allthough Leucs wouldn't be my first choice i think their a wise one to learn how to rear froglets with.

Was thinking about doing a silicone-great stuff-coco panel/powder background, so ill make sure i put in lots of highways.

have any of you guys had the vapour from an ultrasonic mister go through the vent you have under the window on European Viv's. just wondered if it was a concern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts