Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found all 3 of my adult galacs dead in their tank! They all still looked perfectly healthy, in fact they look like they were just sitting around. One was a 6 or 7 year old male and the other two were his babies, not even a year old. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? I am definately destroying that tank....thank goodness it is one that's not near the others. The only difference in that tank from all my others is that it was upstairs in the living room for a long time, but I recently moved it in the basement with the rest of the frogs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, nothing was done with the tank in the last 2 weeks. And no out-of-the-ordinary misting. The water bottle is the same one I've used for several years. The tank is a year and a half old. The only change I've made is about 2 weeks ago, we moved it from the living room to the basement... and it had a pond in it, I drained the tank and fillled that in because the moss looked so wet all the time. Now the moss looks healthier. A little bit of new dirt was added from one of those dirt bricks they sell for reptiles, and a little bit of moss from the backyard (nowhere that dogs go potty or anything, and we don't put chemicals on the lawn). That's all that's been done. The tank has a glass top, no ventillation, and a single UV light on top of it (same as all my other tanks).

Something else I thought of is there are spiders in the basement, but the little ones with long thin legs and some other very small ones. All these frogs were adults though. Could eating a spider hurt them?

I hope I can find out what happened, because we have been making the same changes to other tanks lately....adding new moss and dirt. I will be devistated if this happens to anyone else.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
By draining the water out, and filling in the pond, you may have set up conditions to go anaerobic.

This could, literally, gas your frogs.

I did this inadverantly to a breeding pair of Lorenzos by stirring the small gravel in the water area. This released gases that were trapped beneath in the sediments with the gravel.

I do not know the gas involved - or all of the conditions. So hopefully somebody with better knowledge of this phenomena can explain it.

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had that happen to a reef tank I had. I setup Jaubert type plenum on the bottom of the tank. Well, after about a year, I decided to re-arrange the tank and get some corals in different spots. Apparently I disturbed the bottom anaerobic layer of the substrate and the gasses killed the fish overnight. :shock: Strangely, the corals were ok though.

Sorry about the loss, it is weird that they all died like that. Probably all around the same time. Hopefully you can figure it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<By draining the water out, and filling in the pond, you may have set up conditions to go anaerobic.
This could, literally, gas your frogs. >

So is it safer not to have water in the bottom of the tank at all? Most of my tanks did. Some had a false bottom, some just had lots of gravel and it was moved over in one corner where there was open water. But they were so wet all the time, I couldn't even get plants to grow, they'd just rot, so I decided to try not having water in the tanks in all of them except for a few tanks that seem to look clean all the time (must have the right chemicals going). I always drain them once in a while and I've never had this happen before. One 10 gallon, that I left the water in, even has a tadpole in it that's about a month old.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
I'm just saying that going from the extremely wet conditions - 1)draining away the source of the wetness 2) covering it so it doesn't have exposure to air

May create anaerobic conditions.

The only reason I suspect this - is bc/ having all your animals going down (froglets and adults) suggest something more than your normal sickness. It had to be something that acted on them all equally, at once.

A condition that would make them sick (and then die) would likely take the froglets down and then the adult.

Sounds to me like they were gassed from inside the tank (having done that once - I sympathize).

s

·
Registered
785 Posts
Did you have your setup in a place where during the day, when you're not there, some sun could hit the tank through the window and basically boil your frogs??? Possibly when you were back, sun moved/set beyond your window, tank cooled down so it's hard to figure out ? Possible? :?

WiFrogger34 said:
I just found all 3 of my adult galacs dead in their tank! They all still looked perfectly healthy, in fact they look like they were just sitting around. One was a 6 or 7 year old male and the other two were his babies, not even a year old. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? I am definately destroying that tank....thank goodness it is one that's not near the others. The only difference in that tank from all my others is that it was upstairs in the living room for a long time, but I recently moved it in the basement with the rest of the frogs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marty said:
Did you have your setup in a place where during the day, when you're not there, some sun could hit the tank through the window and basically boil your frogs??? Possibly when you were back, sun moved/set beyond your window, tank cooled down so it's hard to figure out ? Possible? :?
Maybe... It is directly under a basement window, but the window has a curtain over it all the time. I wouldn't think so, but maybe. I threw out everything in the tank anyway, just to be certain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOO HOO!!! I just found one of the frogs ALIVE! I had assumed it crawled into a corner and died cause I couldn't find it and it usually didn't hide before this. But I tore the tank apart, and there he was! Little bit skinny, but he was the smallest.

Becky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dane said:
Check that sucker to see if he's got a weapon
lol. Throw him into solitary until the hearing.
Hold on now. Innocent unitl proven guilty. Maybe he's a genius and invented a gas mask from cork bark and moss.....or maybe he's the source of some deadly gas. What were you feeding these guys anyway...pork and beans? :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts