Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was sitting at my fly tying vice putting the finishing touches on a brown and gold clouser minnow for an upcoming meat hucking brown trout adventure. Then suddenly I hear it, the unmistakable call of a male pumilio in the throws of passion. Immediately I turn to investigate as I have not seen or heard him in many weeks. But whom do I see if not my long lost lover boy? Gasp! A child! A fully formed froglet frolicking freely amongst the foliage. A precariously perched pumilio performing a plethora of poses pondering the possibility of prey passing by. I give a generous jump of joy jolted by the germination of my blue jeans. Success at last.
In all seriousness this is my very first oophaga offspring and I’m super excited. Fingers crossed it continues to develop well.
Flower Plant Insect Arthropod Natural environment
Plant Beak Water Terrestrial plant Twig

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NAY GENTLEMEN THE PLOT THICKENS! I just got home from work only to find dad guarding a large clutch on a bromeliad. Amidst my amazement I look lower only to notice another froglet! Now we are up to 2 and some eggs. I go to retrieve my phone for pictures and in the back corner yet another frog. I guess I need to get a large order of springtails ASAP.
Flower Plant Hood Vehicle Botany
Plant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Petal Flower

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats. My Blue Jeans just laid a clutch of 13 a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, they all molded over in about a week. It was their first clutch to the best of my knowledge. They must have figured it out, because a couple days ago I caught the female transporting tads.

Are yours WC Nic Blue Jeans?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats! Fellow fly tyer here although I only keep my fruit flies in my tying room. Gives me an idea to fit a tank in if possible. Working on a 520 piece Euro nymph box now.
I have my reloading bench, fly tying desk, and all my frogs in one room. While it certainly is cool to have it all in one place, I would tread lightly! It gets very crowded and cluttered very quickly. I’m currently in the process of separating all three.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats. My Blue Jeans just laid a clutch of 13 a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, they all molded over in about a week. It was their first clutch to the best of my knowledge. They must have figured it out, because a couple days ago I caught the female transporting tads.

Are yours WC Nic Blue Jeans?
yes I got my pair from the most recent Harrington import. I have had them since the spring and this the very first offspring I have seen. Honestly I thought it would take longer given the nature of pumilio. I guess that speaks to the quality of the frogs and to some extent my ability to provide a suitable environment. Tank is an insitu amazonia. Apologies for dirty glass, Tennessee having a mostly limestone geological makeup leads to lots of hard water stains.
Plant Flower Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant
Plant Branch Terrestrial plant Wood Organism

The tank has come a long way. This was the tank the day I finished planting^

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very nice. I got my pair from Shawn in June, so it seems right around 4 months for them the settle in. PM me if you wind up with any holdbacks down the road you want to try to pair up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I certainly did not take into account when making this enclosure is the ability to find and pull froglets without disassembling the enclosure. I guess i'll wait until they are juveniles. I'll figure it out as I go I guess, no rush. #sufferingfromsuccess

·
Registered
325 Posts
Congrats, man. Very nice! #alittlejealous

One thing I certainly did not take into account when making this enclosure is the ability to find and pull froglets without disassembling the enclosure. I guess i'll wait until they are juveniles.
Don't stress out. Just dust the tank and the plants with springtails, observe the froglets hunt them down with mom and dad. There will be ample occasions to catch them without disassembling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Little update. 3 froglets are all that seem to be hopping about, all healthy looking. I stocked 5 of frog daddy’s clay spring tail cultures and left one open in the bottom of the tank and the froglets have definitely taken notice. I’ve seen at least two of the froglets eat springtails so that’s rad. Almost all of the eggs have survived into tad stage but it seems mom and dad haven’t quite taken notice yet. Time will tell for the tads.
Plant Botany Water Terrestrial plant Organism

·
Registered
39 Posts
There I was sitting at my fly tying vice putting the finishing touches on a brown and gold clouser minnow for an upcoming meat hucking brown trout adventure. Then suddenly I hear it, the unmistakable call of a male pumilio in the throws of passion. Immediately I turn to investigate as I have not seen or heard him in many weeks. But whom do I see if not my long lost lover boy? Gasp! A child! A fully formed froglet frolicking freely amongst the foliage. A precariously perched pumilio performing a plethora of poses pondering the possibility of prey passing by. I give a generous jump of joy jolted by the germination of my blue jeans. Success at last.
In all seriousness this is my very first oophaga offspring and I’m super excited. Fingers crossed it continues to develop well. View attachment 303213 View attachment 303214
Its soooo cute congrats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts