Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I had another small batch of vents morph out which I am keeping for future stock or may trade for another line or possibly other thumbnails. One of these 3 decided it would leave the water a little early and the bugger still had a good ammount of tail left yet the body was fully developed for land. It had been climbing up the side of the cup for a few days and by accident I left the cover off of the cup after a water draw off. Well, I came back maybe 30 minutes after that and the froglet was no where to be seen!! I panicked and frantically searched the surrounding perimeter and looked for like 2 minutes before finding him. The poor little guy lay on the carpet just in front of my toes. I had nearly stepped on him. He was drying out and his pupils were going white. I scooped the little guy up and placed in back in the water and used a sterile cotton swap to clean off the carpet debris and r-moisturize the outer skin. After 5 minutes he seemed unaffected by his stunt and is now the largest of the 3 and extremely bold! I'll probably hold on to this 'miracle baby'!! Just thougth I'd share this with you guys!

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quite a story

Wow, what a story!

I remember coming home to find my brazilian yellowhead at the door and covered with hair and fuzz from a long trek across the living room floor all the way from the bedroom. He was still alive. Previously, he had not been eating too well, kind of languishing. Since then, he's been my fattest, most active dart frog.

Maybe these guys make the most out of near death experiences!

Ken

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Cool story...

BillJohnson said:
A few weeks ago I had another small batch of vents morph out which I am keeping for future stock or may trade for another line or possibly other thumbnails. One of these 3 decided it would leave the water a little early and the bugger still had a good ammount of tail left yet the body was fully developed for land. It had been climbing up the side of the cup for a few days and by accident I left the cover off of the cup after a water draw off. Well, I came back maybe 30 minutes after that and the froglet was no where to be seen!! I panicked and frantically searched the surrounding perimeter and looked for like 2 minutes before finding him. The poor little guy lay on the carpet just in front of my toes. I had nearly stepped on him. He was drying out and his pupils were going white. I scooped the little guy up and placed in back in the water and used a sterile cotton swap to clean off the carpet debris and r-moisturize the outer skin. After 5 minutes he seemed unaffected by his stunt and is now the largest of the 3 and extremely bold! I'll probably hold on to this 'miracle baby'!! Just thougth I'd share this with you guys!

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pedilite

That's a good story to post, Bill. It happens to all of us at times.

Last fall I was in a promenant NW frogger's frogroom. He had a little space in the corner of the room with an auto dog watering device to keep a moist spot for escapes. I asked him how it worked. and he responded saying it had saved one or two escapes and showed me a hand full of frog rasins. He has litterally thousands of frogs and some will inevitably escape when he's feeding. And with that many frogs he's always feeding.

I keep some pedilite around just in case I need to restore the moisture to an escape. I've used it a couple of times and think it's well worth the investment even of you never use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts