Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you found to be the best mix as for substrate? I'm hoping to get an exo terra soon and my first PDFs so it would be very helpful to find out those who are more experienced which type of substrate that does very well in a terrarium setup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links I appreciate it. And I found the clay substrate very interesting. I would definitely try that if I have time to make it. Also do they sell ABG mix at shows?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
On herpetoculture the only thing I found under substrate was this:
New England Herpetoculture Vivarium Substrate Mix. Is that the same thing as ABG mix?
It's our twist on ABG. It's very similar (ingredients are nearly identical) and can be used exactly the same way. On our most recent substrate mix we chose to no longer use peat moss, since it can compact & break down over time. That being said both mixes are proven & work very well. :)

If you choose to make your own mix - be sure the "soil" component (peat, coconut fiber, or both) doesn't exceed 50% of the mix. More than that, and the mix will likely break down fairly quickly. You want a very "airy" soil that helps support both plants, microfauna, and beneficial bacteria. Soggy soils go anaerobic quickly and things get ugly fast. There's a ton of good info in this thread (already posted):

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/70538-genuine-abg-vs-abg-equivalent.html

·
Registered
802 Posts
I smile on the inside when threads I started get reposted :)

ABG is the closest thing I think you'll be able to find to a "magic bullet". Works well and is very easy to just have the mix shipped to you. From there it's very plug and play, just pour it in the viv.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MeiKVR6 : Thank you very much for clearing that up. Very informative.

PeanutbuttER : I have heard great reviews about it everywhere. Where do you purchase yours from joshsfrogs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts