Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My substrate is quite moist, is this ok? I still need to put some leaf litter on top but i just finished planting. It seems to stay really moist all day and even in the morning. I have a water feature but it only runs for an hour 3 different times during the day. I will post pics tomorrow after good lighting is available.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You don't want the water to be saturated. You want it to be damp, not soggy. If that's the case you are fine.

In some of my earlier tanks, the soil was so soggy that the roots on a lot of plants just melted away.

I will have to take a look at the pics once uploaded.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Proper drainage is crucial. 99% of plants need at least a little drying out between watering which is sometimes near impossible in our vivs with all the misting to keep the humidity up. Its more effective on pinned/mounted plants but at least some kind of air circulation can be the differance between a thriving viv and a soggy brown mess.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking mine is more towards soggy... :( I get off work at 2pm Central today and will post pics then. I have only fiberglass screening to hold my substrate up but maybe i need more "chunks" of substrate material instead of what i have. Its a fine coco/spag/charcoal/peat mix. The pics will help alot--

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok perfect, maybe ill just buy some ABG equiv from newherp or the actual ABG just becuase its cheaper for the size i have to buy premix then for me to go out and add more of each. Thank you!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm new so feel free to ignore me.

I use the ABG type substrate made by one of our vendors and love it. It drains so well that I don't think it can be overly moist without physically leaving it submerged. It seems to retain only so much moisture, then sheds the rest.

You may be able to adjust/add to your current mix and have relatively worry free substrate.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Agreed, definitely looks way too moist and you need "coarser" things in there, such as wood chips, sticks, or the charcoal that was already mentioned by meikvr6. Do you have a false bottom or anything like that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts