Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today in class a random idea popped into my head, and I checked to make sure there werent any previous threads. Not thoroughly but atleast i checked. When a rainforest/any forest burns down, what happens... QUICK regrowth. All of the nutrients from the burned forest are absorbed back into the soil. So my question is, if i took the right kind of plants and burned them, maybe mixed them in with some peat moss, would it help plants grow and possibly create a more natural looking habitat. Open for all ideas!

·
Registered
135 Posts
By the way, peat moss alone is a bad substrate you should really consider taking a look at inorganic substrates as it provides better drainage. It has yielded better results for me and there are a number of threads on the board about it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Today in class a random idea popped into my head, and I checked to make sure there werent any previous threads. Not thoroughly but atleast i checked. When a rainforest/any forest burns down, what happens... QUICK regrowth. All of the nutrients from the burned forest are absorbed back into the soil. So my question is, if i took the right kind of plants and burned them, maybe mixed them in with some peat moss, would it help plants grow and possibly create a more natural looking habitat. Open for all ideas!
WRONG WRONG.. They regrow fast because of the Available Sunlight and the rich soil from already decomposed organic material. That is why they are cleared and used for Farmland. Ash is not a Nutrient in it self. Compost/Top Soil/Humus is rich in Nitrogen. Once the forest floor is covered again by shade only the fastest and tallest Plants growing survive or those who adapt to shade or growth On Higher branches. The rest of the Sunlight loving Plants die off and seeds remain dormant until the area is cleared again.

by the way I use nothing but Compost as my substrate

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
Search terra preta on the forum..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts