Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two large vivariums (3' tall x 2' wide x 18" deep) which house pairs of Leachies. I love these guys but they destroy most everything I plant in these tanks. I would prefer to keep these tanks natural but about the only thing I have found which survives their nightly rampaging and vivarium environment are really beefy Sansevieria species. The substrate is ABG and the tanks are on an auto-mister schedule morning and evening to keep a relative humidity between 50-90%.
Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I can plant in these tanks? The geckos are close to a pound each with sharp nails (for anyone not familiar with Leachies).
Thanks,
- Paul

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Interesting problem. To some extent might you be able to "fence" or "hide" more delicate plants behind desirable climbing limbs & perches? Basically, give the mondo geckos something better to do than hammer the plants?

Not many herbaceous plants can stand up to heavy clawed squamates. Woody plants are better off but they mostly get too big. Something like a Ficus elastica might be OK though. They prune fine.

Microsorum diversifolium might be an option. Their stems are like ivy - they throw loads of penetrating & adherent aerial roots. The leaves are large, the petioles wiry and flexible. I've got a bunch of this stuff growing on epoxy-coated foam "fake rock", and also growing on cork mosaic backgrounds. It's super easy to vegetatively propagate.

I think what you need is to have a way to give new plantings a month or so to establish, before turning loose the beasts.

Anyway - good luck! I've always liked the look of those things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts