Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, 1.1 oophaga pumilio bastimentos rfb
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quiet a few in some dendrobates viavriums with ventilation and automatic misting 6 times a day every time for 10 secs. Don’t know if I’m over misting as a couple of my broms have a slight roten smell on the bottom some times but it seams that like it’s only the outer “skin”.

Any suggestions or tips on broms I have a small fire ball, a green and with lined, one a big neorogelia hanibal lecture (not sure if it’s that kind but’s looks like it), a fully green one and a green and white with a sprincle of red.
If you could tell me how much do you water your tanks please thanks.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm new to this, but I noticed the bottom of my broms were also looking and smelling bad. I read that they appreciate air flow and don't like the base constantly wet. I removed all of the spagnum around the bottoms that were constantly damp and the issue cleared up. They can now dry out between mistings. If you have a lot of spagnum or moss at the bases, you might try removing it.

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, 1.1 oophaga pumilio bastimentos rfb
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll try that thanks a lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good advice has been given about the broms. As for misting, everyone’s schedules are different. I imagine I mist much more frequently than most as I live in Utah where it’s very dry. I’m still tweaking my misting schedule and have a tank that’s been running for about 6 months. A general rule of thumb is to make sure your leaf litter drys out before misting again and make sure there’s nothing overly soggy. Its a lot of trial and error so don’t be afraid to play with timings and ventilation. For me personally I’ve found more frequent but shorter duration mistings have created a more stable environment but you may find the opposite.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I am playing around but still with some errors.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
misting 6x 10 seconds a day is a lot. not only for your frogs, but your plants aswell. Hence why they rot.
in the 'wet season' I mist around 3x 10sec. ofc this depends on your setups and how fast your tanks dry. But frogs don't need wet tanks.

surfing dude gives good advice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anyway I guess depends on vivarium size and ventilation...if everything dries between misting maybe it’s not a problem

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
surfing dude gives good advice.
Agreed, yes he does.

A general rule of thumb is to make sure your leaf litter drys out before misting again and make sure there’s nothing overly soggy.
I'd just amend that to say "make sure the surface of your leaf litter dries off". If I flip the dry top layer aside, mine always has some moisture down in there. All the way down at the screen level it's reliably moist and fluffy and woodsy/sweet-smelling. I think that's what anyone keeping tropical forest animals would want.

Also - "soggy" is a little subjective. Honestly I like a variety of local situations in my vivs. What you absolutely do not want is for a lot of the viv to be at all soggy. But if you can manage for a little isolated area to be more soggy than anywhere else - I think that's a fine thing. This might take a bigger viv than most folks here run for frogs, I get that. My vivs are all on the large side, and I keep snakes. I'm all about free choice within high environmental heterogeneity. My vivs are also more passively ventilated, and have some much drier spots within them, than would be normal for a frog viv, I reckon. But I've got happy broms and orchids and mossy spots, like a lot of folks here strive for too.

Just giving a plug to space and choice and variety. Shooting for stability, and trying to offer a narrow window of idealized temps / moisture / light levels in a real small viv is tough, and (to me anyway) no way to live, or force others to live. There's another way to do it, which I think is both easier for us and better for our charges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts