Dendroboard banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
If it were me, I'd be using this as a plants-only tank. You could use it for housing your mother plants. Get them cleaned up, growing, and then you'd have plants from which to take cuttings, with no further need to bleach again before placing them in your future tanks (unless you get careless and contaminate it).

It's worth reiterating that when you do maintenance, because you'll have to reach in from the top, you'll probably have to remove the light to do so, which will make doing the work in the tank a little harder since you won't be able to see what you're doing, in addition to the physical awkwardness of it. Being such a PITA, this could lead to neglecting the tank, given that many people have a tendency to procrastinate unpleasant activities.

There's also some consideration for frogs' behavior here. There are older threads here about how feeding and interacting with the tank from a lateral position is thought to be less stressful than reaching down into a tank from above, which may appear to the frogs more like a predator coming for them from their blind spot. If you're coming in at their eye level, their peripheral vision is more likely to catch your movement while they still have time to consider their response, unlike coming in from above.

I have to say, I find these half-moon tanks aesthetically appealing, so I understand the temptation from that aspect alone.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts