Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are either string of bananas or pearls vivarium suitable? I know they’re both succulents, so too much humidity and moisture in the soil (ABG) might be a problem, but I did just see them listed somewhere as a vivarium suitable type of plant. Thoughts?

·
Registered
217 Posts
String of bananas requires a well-draining soil mix in order to help prevent root rot. You can purchase premixed cactus or succulent soil or mix your own at home. A simple mixture of 2 parts potting soil, 1 part perlite, and 1 part pumice or sand will provide your string of bananas with adequate drainage.

Source: The Spruce - Make Your Best Home

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
String of bananas requires a well-draining soil mix in order to help prevent root rot. You can purchase premixed cactus or succulent soil or mix your own at home. A simple mixture of 2 parts potting soil, 1 part perlite, and 1 part pumice or sand will provide your string of bananas with adequate drainage.

Source: The Spruce - Make Your Best Home
Yes, I know that. Probably best to keep it out of the viv then.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In a Facebook group called "orchids and other epiphytic plants mounted cultivation" there's a person (admin, actually; Neil Snyder if you want to search the name in the group) who has shared images of their mounts that happen to include various succulents usually grown terrestrially; his pic from a recent post is pasted below as an example. I was quite surprised and am intrigued enough that I may want to try this someday, outside a terrarium and just on a slab of tree fern (as he does) or some other suitable substrate. (Hmm...EpiWeb? Might still get too dry I guess, since the roots still need some hyper-localized humidity levels, just like they would have in well-drained soil.) Anyway, I don't know his growing location (well, Japan, if the FB info is up-to-date) and care regimen, but I think they're impressive and might give you ideas with which to experiment depending on your background or hardscape materials. Since I've heard/seen in various other places that String-of-Pearls tends to tolerate lower light well or even prefer it (at least compared to other succulents), on paper it sounds like it might work in a terrarium - roots in a medium that stays humid but not necessarily damp, and moderate levels of light.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In a Facebook group called "orchids and other epiphytic plants mounted cultivation" there's a person (admin, actually; Neil Snyder if you want to search the name in the group) who has shared images of their mounts that happen to include various succulents usually grown terrestrially; his pic from a recent post is pasted below as an example. I was quite surprised and am intrigued enough that I may want to try this someday, outside a terrarium and just on a slab of tree fern (as he does) or some other suitable substrate. (Hmm...EpiWeb? Might still get too dry I guess, since the roots still need some hyper-localized humidity levels, just like they would have in well-drained soil.) Anyway, I don't know his growing location (well, Japan, if the FB info is up-to-date) and care regimen, but I think they're impressive and might give you ideas with which to experiment depending on your background or hardscape materials. Since I've heard/seen in various other places that String-of-Pearls tends to tolerate lower light well or even prefer it (at least compared to other succulents), on paper it sounds like it might work in a terrarium - roots in a medium that stays humid but not necessarily damp, and moderate levels of light.

View attachment 297550
Oh, those are really cool! I might try that, at least decoratively (not going to put cactus in a viv with frogs). But perhaps I could try that for the strings, up near the vents, so where it’s not too moist? I was thinking of having som tree fern panels for plant mounting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I was amazed at the mix of plants he's got on some of those panels. Anyway, I had similar thoughts in the past about trying a moderate-light succulent high-up in a tank where the background dries fastest and the humidity is lowest. Let us know later on if you try it and it looks like it's working!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I was amazed at the mix of plants he's got on some of those panels. Anyway, I had similar thoughts in the past about trying a moderate-light succulent high-up in a tank where the background dries fastest and the humidity is lowest. Let us know later on if you try it and it looks like it's working!
Yes, I’ll keep you posted! I’m still on the build and design phase, so a while before I plant, but I got these clippings and was wondering if if should quarantine for the viv as I root them...so I may try this and will post if they do well.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Anyway, I had similar thoughts in the past about trying a moderate-light succulent high-up in a tank where the background dries fastest and the humidity is lowest.
I do exactly this. It can work great. Works for me, anyway. It's been some trial and error, for sure, but once you figure it out it's actually pretty cool. I've actually got climbing aloe that's kind of pesky - you can't believe how often that stuff can need pruning. I've also got some Christmas cactus. Those rock. Mine do amazing. They like it moister than you might think - well-drained yes, but frequently watered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts