Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI for those interested i went through all of the frogs Strictly got and they have 2 morphs of Pumilio. They got about 100+ each of Almirante and the large spotted morph Bastimentos (rusty red with a few bright red and a few with hardly any/no spots). The good news is there were zero DOA's (of the 300 Auratus there were 2 DOA's) and most of the frogs seemed to be in good shape.
Mark

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the info mark. That helps out alot. They have a minimum order of $400 bucks with $15 charge for orders under 400 right?
Thanks,

Kasey

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strictly

I think you are right on their requirements, the ad is on Kingsnake. I have no affiliation with Strictly, just wanted to go through the batch and see what they had. The last shipment had more variety including some greens (which were not included this time). I just sorted them so they could put like animals together and like i said they seemed to be in decent shape.
I had a pair of Almirante's in my son's 5th grade classroom and lost the male a couple of months ago so i picked up a male along with another pair of them. They had some nice Bastimentos including a couple that had spots that were basically straight lines going down the back. I don't have a lot of tank space so the 3 Alm's were all I picked up.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
1) Live arrival guarantee only on shipments sent airport to airport (air freight)
2) No live arrival for shipments that are delayed or mishandled by the carrier (airlines or FedEx)
3) No live arrival guarantee for shipments sent via door to door services such as FedEx
4) No live arrival guarantee on shipments sent to destinations below 40(f) degrees or above 89(f) degrees
5) No live arrival guarantee on amphibians at anytime
6) All claims must be called in and unacceptable animals returned within 24 hours of arrival at destination airport. If you are calling after hours or on weekends leave a message stating the exact nature of your claim. Please be sure to include your name, phone number, exact nature of the problem, exact number and species involved.
7) All returned orders will be charged a restocking fee.
8) Prices are subject to change without notice.
9) The purchaser agrees to pay all expenses, including legal expenses, court costs, and attorneys fees paid by the seller in endeavoring to collect these invoiced items. All amounts over 60 days shall be subject to a 2% monthly service charge

I dont like the no live arrival....

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Ryan said:
1) Live arrival guarantee only on shipments sent airport to airport (air freight)
2) No live arrival for shipments that are delayed or mishandled by the carrier (airlines or FedEx)
3) No live arrival guarantee for shipments sent via door to door services such as FedEx
4) No live arrival guarantee on shipments sent to destinations below 40(f) degrees or above 89(f) degrees
5) No live arrival guarantee on amphibians at anytime
Anyone else notice this? I was thinking of ordering from them because they had a rare tinc morph that I wanted. I was reading through the restrictions and didn't like two, three, or four (I've bought animals through places that would only ship Delta Dash), but when I got to number five, that tore it. I wasn't about to pay $175 per frog and end up with $525 of dead frogs with no reimbursment because they might have screwed up and didn't package them right.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strictly is a typical large exotic importer, they don't have the ability to keep frogs the way you or I do however they are professionals. They package animals very well and do a good job of getting things out with as little risk to the animal as they can. I ordered from them many times when I lived in Ohio and never had a DOA. The prices subject to change part is something i don't understand, they have never changed an advertised price on anything i was ever interested in and once an order was placed they could not. It is a high volume business though and for those that would call and say I want 6 of this specific animal may be disappointed. I would suggest that if you wanted Almirante or bastimentos that is what you would get however a specific type of Basti would probably not happen nor would they do a good job of sexing the frogs.
As with all wild caught animals there is inherent risk in getting them so from that aspect one must be prepared however at the prices they sell at I for one will take the risk, but then again I have the advantage of seeing them first.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Xtreme also has Pumilio and Auratus in and they will give a 5-day guarentee on them. However now they will only sell to wholesale and established customers now due to some customer conflicts and other issues.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would not advocate to anyone that did not feel comfortable dealing with a supplier to do so. I am just relating my experiences and knowing how when you expect something and get something else how disappointing it can be. That is the only reason I gave the initial info up top, so that folks would know what they had and for those that would risk getting a bargain a little bit of insight is better than none.
Strictly says on their doors "Not open to the public" but they will certainly sell to anyone. It is frustrating buying animals from people that do not know the animals the way we hobbyists do, hopefully with my comments people will know what to expect from this company/this shipment.
Mark

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Okay, I'll fess up to buying from these guys. I ordered 12 pumilio. Here's the report:

They wouldn't take my credit card number over the phone. Instead they emailed me a form to fill out and email back. They never returned my email to confirm that they had received credit card info nor any confirmation that my order had been shipped.

None the less, the frogs arrived less than 24 hours after I ordered them. They were fairly well packed - but - not well enough. When I received them they were very cold. So cold that I thought most were dead. After ten minutes of warm up time (and ten minutes cool down time for me :evil: ) all seemed to be doing fine. All but one appear to be fat and healthy.

Is it a risk? After receiving $650 worth of nearly dead frogs (with no live arrival ) I would say - very much so so.

Would I order from them again? At these prices, probably so, but only under optimal weather conditions.

Here's the crazy thing. Less than half an hour after I opened the box of nearly frozen frogs - I had two males calling!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Only ten minutes of cool down time for you? Wow, I'm impressed...I'd still be stewing! :evil:
I'd guess that male calling right away helped though!
Did they use a heat pack? Did they use a styrofoam cooler, or line the box with styrofoam?
What did you get?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hi Brian,

Actually, took my heartbeat 10 minutes to get back to normal, the stewing continued for awhile!

No cooler, Just styrofoam (1/2 inch) lined box. There was a heat pack in a deli cup that was still slightly warm. The insulation was loose and didn't fit very well (gaps in the corners).

I suspect that Fed-ex is as much to blame. This box had obviously sat in the cold for quite some time.

I got 8 Bastis and 4 Man Creek. As mark said previously the Bastis are the rusty red, large spot. Bastis all came in fairly fat. The Man Creek all came a bit on the thin side.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have been wanting to get a hold of a pair of the basti. Pumilio. I have been a little worried of the risk and if I would get a pair or a "pair". I have done business with Xtreame and am happy with the results. My best friend ordered a bunch of mantillas and added a few reed frogs to the mix. We did receive the requested sex on all the groups. My person conflict is the risk on the pumilio or getting P. klemmeri.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pics?

Can you post some pics of the animals you got? I'm thinking of ordering some...and want to see the color and health of the frogs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts