Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a planted tank until early november, when i will put a sexed pair of green and bronze in. Below is the plant list only NEO's. also here are some pics of what is already done.

(2)Pheasant
andy ann
edge of night
olens 696 x charm
gold fever

rosella
java plum

Blueberry smoothie

perfection
russel lively
blueberry tart
kulkulbah
pheasant

gypsy lady

and then the landscaping stuff; whatever it's called

i went with coco husk this time around as before i went with plantation soil as the substrate above the hydroton:
[URL="http://www.exo-terra.com/images/shared/products/coco_husk_brick_pack.jpg"][/URL]
here it is in the bucket, then in the tank

as the 2nd layer above the hydroton and the cocohusk i used the sphagnum moss

to help keep the future FF's and other bugs in; siliconed some screen to the vent cover

i made the same mistake as last time by not putting in the cork tile 1st, but since nothing will be enhabiting this for awhile it's a easy fix.
photo courtesy of zoo-med products.

Natural Cork Tile Background==

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is the supplies for the cosmetic part of the tank:

i am going to do a push/pull air circulation system on this, if all goes well i will do it on my cobalt tank i currently have.

and for some of the brom's they will be put in these cups, with drains if all goes well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
petsmart was out of the plantation soil so i went with this to go over the great stuff and the brown silicone:

some driftwood that will go in the corners where the black silicone is in a few pics:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is it for now, next i will add the great stuff and the driftwood and post those pics. the neo's will be here saturday or monday so i will be moving quick to get this done if all works well.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just a question, but how do you plan on doing GS with the tank standing up?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure what you mean? have you had problems with great stuff while vertical?

·
Registered
701 Posts
not sure what you mean? have you had problems with great stuff while vertical?
The great stuff will slide off if it's vertical, as it's "tackiness" isn't strong enough to deal with the weight of the foam. You'll either have a big mess on the bottom, or the top will be paper thin and the bottom will be 10 inches thick.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The great stuff will slide off if it's vertical, as it's "tackiness" isn't strong enough to deal with the weight of the foam. You'll either have a big mess on the bottom, or the top will be paper thin and the bottom will be 10 inches thick.
regardless, anytime you use it there will always be a vertical and a horizontal; no way tp prevent it. i get what you are saying, but don't see how to get away from the vertical?

·
Registered
701 Posts
regardless, anytime you use it there will always be a vertical and a horizontal; no way tp prevent it. i get what you are saying, but don't see how to get away from the vertical?
Sorry for late response. Well, sorry to tell you, but you're going to have to take all of the substrate and stuff out, and then put the tank on it's sides/back then spray the foam. Never heard anyone spray the foam vertically, but I tried it a little bit on accident, and it came out very sloppy and ugly, and the foam slowly slid down to the bottom. Never again.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well if it has to be done that way it will be done that way. once i get back from work later this afternoon i will give it a go!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
seems like a big list of plants for just a small tank, hope your planing another tank. sounds like your going to have a few extra neos...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i may put a few in my cobalt tank, but i plan to use this as a grow out tank. i know i mentioned about putting a few green and bronze in here late October early November, but i probably just buy another tank for them and continue to use this as a grow tank for neo's.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i did small amounts of the GS on each side and once i was done i sprayed it with water and it never ran. i will post some pics later today.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Andy, one of the problems that you may run in to is deciding what look you like. Too many species may have the tank looking disjointed. I purchased 9 broms for the 50 gal which are full grown and I may have to pull two. It's just too much.

Be prepared to house them in an alternative enclosure, or even get them in an outside pot and in the sun while your weather is still favorable.

·
Registered
701 Posts
i did small amounts of the GS on each side and once i was done i sprayed it with water and it never ran. i will post some pics later today.
Really? Maybe it was just with the red can. On my 20 long it slid with my red can, but you used the blue can. A little off topic, but with your foam is it almost neon yellow? On my new 20H the blue foam was a bright neon yellow vs the red can being creamy white.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I zoomed in on your materials and noticed the big bold advertisement on the DAP silicone tubes for Microban. I personally would not use that in my viv as I would be concerned with the chemical leaching out into the viv from all the misting/humidity. Guess you are not concerned by that.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really? Maybe it was just with the red can. On my 20 long it slid with my red can, but you used the blue can. A little off topic, but with your foam is it almost neon yellow? On my new 20H the blue foam was a bright neon yellow vs the red can being creamy white.

bright yellow, i will post the setup in a few.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I zoomed in on your materials and noticed the big bold advertisement on the DAP silicone tubes for Microban. I personally would not use that in my viv as I would be concerned with the chemical leaching out into the viv from all the misting/humidity. Guess you are not concerned by that.
didn't think it was an issue, i didn't much care for the texture of the black; i may take it back, but the only other non microban silicone they had was cedar brown-about half the color of this brown.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts