Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my trio of bicolors (first darts ever) from Quality Exotics for about a month and a half now. Two of the frogs are voracious feeders, and have exhibited normal growth, but the third, who has always been the runt, has had trouble striking at flies, and does not move normally like the others. It can only catch food items when they are directly below it's mouth, and it often makes several strikes in vain before catching anything. Needless to say, it has been growing thinner by the day. I'll be moving it's two tankmates to a 10 gal today, hopefully giving him a little better chance of getting food. Anymore suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this in their froglets?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
What are you dusting with? The tongue problem is often caused by vitamin deficiency (I think actually A which can also be overdosed in frogs).

·
Super Moderator
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dusting almost every feeding with 50/50 repcal and herptivite. After moving the larger 2 frogs last night, he was able to down 3 flies without competition, so he might survive a while longer. I'm going to see if a local vet will do an inexpensive fecal analysis, otherwise I'll be sending a sample to Dr. Frye.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Next question is, how fresh is the herptivite? Most people recommend pitching vitamin powder after 6 months and always storing it tightly sealed in a cool, dry place. This could well just be a case of the frog weakened by competition or parasites but it's always good to cover all of the bases just in case.

·
Super Moderator
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I bought the powder when I bought the frogs, which was less than 2 months ago, and the exp. date on it is in '05. I doubt that it has something to do with diet, because they have all been fed the same flies/powder, and the other 2 frogs who have surely ingested more of each, are perfectly fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts