Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first viv up and going strong, just waiting on good weather to order frogs. But I find my self already planning my next tank, I would like to create one that has a "river" running the length of the land portion into a large water feature(probably 1/4 to 1/3 the available base area). I was planning on setting it up as a false bottom under the land and leaving the water portion open to the base other than gravel substrate and sectioning it off with screening. Now my question is what does anyone suggest I use to construct the river bed? I was thinging a scrap piece of pvc pond liner with river rock siliconed to it, but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestion?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i dont think that you could ever get a piece of PVC to look natural no matter how many rocks were glued to it. Why dont you build it out of the weldbond/expanding foam method that they use for the backgrounds. start with your false bottom egg crate and use the foam to build the banks and then carve it a little and rough it up and then use the weldbond to cover it and then add the river rocks. little more work, but i bet you will get a hell of a better looking river this way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pvc I was refering to was the black flexible sheeting that is used to line koi ponds. I might experiment with the foam and the mortar, worse case scenerio I don't have a stream or I use drift wood :wink: Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll let everyone know what I find out when I get to that point

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
There's two types of flexible pond liners, butyl rubber and PVC sheeting. My mother has a pond for koi, and she used butyl rubber. The advantages are that butyl lasts a lot longer (longer than 15 years is common), is immune to degridation by UV light, and is tougher to puncture (think bicycle tires). PVC is cheaper, more limp (because it's thinner) to make for easier posing, and may last long enough for the time you keep it in the viv (its life is several years outdoors), but it is vulnerable to UV. There may not be enough UV (even if you have a UV bulb) in a viv to make a difference, though. I would be very surprised if you were able to glue anything to either of them, even with silicone. You might have better luck just arranging the rocks on top once you have the liner laid down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have made a stream bed long ago by siliconing rock to a black track bag cut to the stream shape and then planted over the edges, much like you are talking about. It worked great! Play with it at first until you get what you like before you try it in your tanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was working in garden last year and we make "natural" pool (with big red fish) with a kind of canvas.

I cannot tell you the name in english.... but at home depot they sell that...

The only draw back, if you change often the soil often you will have two work on your river ich time...

For my self.... I am tinking to use bottle of naturel water cut in shape that I want with this canvas on it... and I will but ???????????? between the bottle and the canvas to have the rigt desing......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
water feature thoughts...

I have been using a planting bag as a "pond liner" and then using vivarium mortar to cover and build up so it look more like a real stream instead of the pvc pipe or silicone most of us used to do. the mortar is very safe and with the "liner" streams are very easy to build.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Joe,

I used a technique that I got off of KS a few years ago in my e. silverstonei tank that has worked great for me (come over and check it out!).

It's very simple. Basically you just add standard silicone to a bowl of substrate (dirt). Mix the two together with your hands and shape it to the desired size and form as the silicone dries and hardens. It worked well for me because my tank is in sort of a sloping hill structure and thats once I formed out my streambed I placed it on top of the rest of the substrate, turned on the pump and voila. Once it's up and running you can barely tell the difference between it and the rest of the substrate. Add a few pebbles here and there to get a more natural streambed look.

It's a fairly good/easy method to get that exact look that you were envisioning. Take care,

-=Adam=-

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
with regards to silicone, i was using a template, and after squiting enough out of the tube for the stream, i'd smear it over the edge of the template about 1 inch. using gloves of course. i'd then start with some sand on one end and gravel at the other for dimention. adding this in combination then allowing to dry half way, about 1 hour. i would pull it from the template, afix with more to the begining of hte stream at the bottom of the fall-feature and while making an impression in the soil lay the "stream Bed" down. adding more silicone to the edge that was sticking up and placing larger rocks i would hide the edges. this worked great but now i use those black plastic-pvc bags that can be bought from plant stores and cutting htem open make a stream bed with them.
on top of the liner i place a vivarium mortar mixture and to that i add the needed stones to make it look nicer, more realistic. i use pretty strong pumps too, 1300 which pump about 300 gallon per hour so i need the liner to hold as good as the mortar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used plain old pond liner to make a pool area that branches off into two streams that meet back up at another pool. With an island in the middle. I placed pebbles in the bottom and moss draped over the edges of it all and it worked great.
Rhonda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to add that I have an egg crate false bottom with a pump that flows directly into the first pool. I also draped moss over the edge of my self contained waterfall and put a "fallen log" right near the waterfall so it looks like it is all one continuous flow from top of the falls to the last pool.
Rhonda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry for the redundant posting. I installed a 403 code and forgot.

here are the photos i wanted to show:

and

Again, i appologize for the mix up.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Terra5 said:
i use pretty strong pumps too, 1300 which pump about 300 gallon per hour so i need the liner to hold as good as the mortar.
I hope that wasn't for a frog terrarium. If it is - the image I get is a bunch of frogs 'hangin 10'. I can see them now, catching a wave sitting on a leaf, sayin' "Hey dude, look at me"....I just hope they don't crash on the rocks. :lol:

What type of terrarium would you need such a strong water feature? I don't know if I have ever heard of anyone putting such a strong pump in a dart frog enclosure.

Melis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the reason i'm using a 1300 is that the exit into the vivarium for the water feature is about 5.5 feet from the sump. it's not a raging stream but a nice flow. and besides, it's clearly not done yet so you can't really get a good idea of how the water flows gently of small stones at about 1/4" deep water level...LOL. but image if it was just 2 feet about the sump and the tank was just a twenty...oh my...LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea, after the java moss takes over, you may only have a trickle anyway. i like the idea of frog surfing thou. i had a book when i was a kid that was about a frog that lived on the coast and made surfboards out of tounge depressors. it had some "wicked gnarly" pictures =)

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
remember

I don't mean to show my age or anything, but do any of the members from Ohio remember any of the "SURF OHIO", "SURF THE SCIOTO" t-shirts that made the rounds years ago?

That would be cool to get a list of kids books together that have frog themes, characters, etc... Goto start the kiddies off young, if you know what I mean.

Melis

drunknmunky said:
yea, after the java moss takes over, you may only have a trickle anyway. i like the idea of frog surfing thou. i had a book when i was a kid that was about a frog that lived on the coast and made surfboards out of tounge depressors. it had some "wicked gnarly" pictures =)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have a surf ohio t-shirt actually!

i probably shouldn't tell you that i bought it at a vintage clothing store thou =P

1 - 20 of 29 Posts