Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trilled my Strawberry Dart Frogs just laid a clutch of eggs. From my understanding these are harder to breed. Right now I have a trio of unknown genders and never expected to have any luck with these.

Sorry I am asking stupid questions since I am having trouble finding information on breeding these. Most tadpole and breeding information is not for the egg eaters. I was surprised to find all the eggs in one canister. I thought a fertile and infertile egg got deposited in each canister and not all in one originally but it seems the female in this case transfers them to their own canister and deposits the infertile egg at that time.

1) What is the best angle for film canisters with this frog. I had all of mine at 45 degree angles 1/3 to 1/2 filled with water. The one they chose to lay eggs in was the highest and most horizontal. Also least amount of water
2) Do they use a different angle canister for laying the eggs and a different one for rearing the tadpoles?
3) Should I just dump out this batch of eggs since they all look bad to get them to move onto a new batch?
4) Will a female lay eggs without a male present? I have not heard any calling.

If I had to guess I probably want a few almost perfectly horizontal ones for laying eggs just like my Santa Isabels and the rest maybe 60 degrees so they can hold the most water for when they get relocated. I would think the female needs some dry area to be able to deposit the egg otherwise she won't have anywhere to sit. This is just me guessing.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
all film cans in top corners and completely horizontal and no pooling water. They will lay eggs in the cans and then transport the tadpoles to bromeliads. Use small to medium size common neoregalia , fireballs and place them straight up in at least both high corners or high center as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all film cans in top corners and completely horizontal and no pooling water. They will lay eggs in the cans and then transport the tadpoles to bromeliads. Use small to medium size common neoregalia , fireballs and place them straight up in at least both high corners or high center as well.
I could add
fireballs

Will they transport ever to a film canister?

So I want a fireball bromeliad in each corner near each film canister high up. Will they only use the center of it for transporting or can each one hold a few? Any other bromeliads work for variety. These are the type I can pin to the backdrop correct? I believe I have a few now with bromeliad pups I can move to this enclosure.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
They will transport to a water filled vertical film can but this seems to be VERY unsuitable compared to broms. Broms seem to be a necessary plant for them. Each horizontal can will hold an entire clutch of pumilio eggs - dunno if they care to use the center or back ect, no need to worry about that. the key is to NOT have any water in them - horizontal. Mist them and make sure they are not dry in the tank though, part of overall humidity. Broms should be placed against/on cork or wood.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Each brom can hold multiple tadpoles - they will use the center of the brom and/or axles as they like, but only one tadpole per axle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They will transport to a water filled vertical film can but this seems to be VERY unsuitable compared to broms. Boms seem to be a necessary plant for them. Each horizontal can will hold an entire clutch of pumilio eggs - dunno if they care to use the center or back ect, no need to worry about that. the key is to NOT have any water in them - horizontal. Mist them and make sure they are not dry in the tank though, part of overall humidity. Broms should be placed against/on cork or wood.
That makes sense why they finally laid in the film canister. IT was horizontal. When you say not any water do you mean just pooling or not even misted. Like with petri dishes & the cans with my Santa Isabel's I do mist them at least so its not bone dry. I have a feeling the eggs died because they were floating. I had no idea they started laying and needed horizontal cans. Thats probably why they haven't laid sooner.

How many broms do you thing are enough? I can probably 2 on each corner stacked pinned to the background for a total of 4. If I put them in the middle I can obviously get more.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Film cans should be misted just like the whole tank. Broms need topped off with water every so often. I would put a brom in at least each back corner and center if you can fit - 2 broms or 3 if possible. More is ok...never have too many.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I want to add and recommend using at least 2 different types of bromeliads on top of everything Philsuma already said. For example use Vriesea and Neoregelia..
You'll see they will have different use for them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to add and recommend using at least 2 different types of bromeliads on top of everything Philsuma already said. For example use Vriesea and Neoregelia..
You'll see they will have different use for them.
Sounds good. I placed an order for a few types. I placed film canisters in the mean time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts