Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I’m writing this for a friend. He has a trio of tinctorius (2 males and a female). A few weeks ago one of the males started to develop this sore/ulcer looking crater around his right nostril. According to his description it has a blue/black base and an area of clearing around it (see attached pictures) and it has been getting progressively larger. This week, the second male has also started to develop a similar situation.
I guess my questions are:

-Can anybody identify it? (is it some sort of infection, caused by rubbing on somewhere on the cage)
-And more importantly – what is the best way to treat it?

I’ve read some people talking about applying Neosporin, silver sulfadiazine, or even methylene blue to the wound site. What is the best way to do apply it considering the frogs probably won’t sit still for it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Omer

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looks like a sore from rubbing its nose somewhere in the tank. If the second male now has it also, I would think that something is not right with the tank. It is treatble, but I'm nothe one to ask. Hopefully someone with some experience will help. Good luck, mike

·
Registered
393 Posts
Has your friend physically seen the frogs rubbing their noses on the glass? If he thinks it might be something other than an injury from rubbing against the glass, the best option would be to take it to a vet that specializes in herps, or at least a vet that has had experience with herps. They would be able to identify pathogens and signs of disease more accurately than us looking at a picture. Otherwise you might end up throwing around expensive medications for the wrong reasons.

That being said, from the picture it looks like the frog has been rubbing it's nose on the glass. Applying neosporin might help the wound for a while, but it won't stop the frog from rubbing it's nose on the glass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts