Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of today I noticed he had a bright green splotch on him that looked strange, should I be concerned? He eats food and turns brown when awake, he turned more brown and it's harder to see.. but I think some green is still present. He seemed active enough to run away from me and reposition himself 2 times too and climbed to the top of the enclosure to sleep this morning (he doesn't climb high usually only 1 foot up (1/2 the tank).
Thanks
20201016_125629.JPG
20201016_125636.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
Can you cut and paste this:

and answer the questions right in that text, and post it here? That might help anyone who needs more information to try to answer your question. :)

Reactions: DextaFrog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. What species ? How long have you had the frog(s) and where did you acquire them ?
Whites Tree Frogs from Josh's Frogs in Owosso MI they shipped overnight
2. What are your temperatures -day and night - highs and lows ? Are the enclosure lights too hot ?
Daytime is 85-73 from basking spot to furthest location from light, nighttime it is 68-75
3. What is the Humidity like ? - Percentage or guesstimate. What type of Water are you using? Describe your tank/enclosure and its lid or top.

Humidity is 40-60 I spray once or twice a day usually at nightfall but sometimes when they wake up and humidity spikes to 75-80 during the night but is usually 70 by morning dropping to 40 by the end of the day. 81x18x24 full screen top but w/a 2 24w lamp top above. Water I use in their bowl and to spray is tap water with Josh's frogs declorinator.

4. What kind of food are you providing, how much and are you dusting it ? What superfine powdered supplements are you using and are they fresh ?
I am providing 1/4 crickets, after transferring him to a isolation tank I saw him eat two they are dusted with 50% exoterra vitamin mix 50% calcium supplement, they are fairly dusted when they go into the enclosure looking pale.

5. Any other animals in the enclosure currently or recently ? Tankmates / other frogs ?
1 other whites tree frog gotten from the same supplier and had been part of the same group of froglets.

6. Any type of behaviour you would consider 'odd' ?
He was at the top of the tank this morning but usually stays around the bottom/middle height.

7. Have you handled or touched the frogs recently ? Any cleansers, paint, perfumes, bug sprays etc near the tank ?
I handled the frog after noticing thier discoloration and wanting to check on him I washed my hands and rinsed them for 40 seconds dried and sprayed hands with dechlorinated water b4 handling, their cage is only next to laundry but I handled them just on the edge of the terrarium.

I have cleaned the substrate from their enclosure it was damp and in a few locations I found some white fuzzy stuff growing under the coconut fiber and moss. None was on the surface but I think this may be the culprit.

I have a vet visit scheduled for Tuesday (4 days away) is this more urgent?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frogs are 2 months old or so I've had them 2.5 weeks and are not sexable I have referred to Ba Sing Se as Him but do not know for certain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replace water daily and clean the bowl weekly, I have done some spot cleaning but only of visible messes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is them while green, I've seen them jump and eat 3 crickets now in the enclosure
20201016_154007.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
That info helps.

Just FYI (this is not part of your current issue) the ExoTerra supplement is not a good one for dart frogs. It has no preformed Vit A (there is evidence that frogs cannot convert beta carotene, so they need preformed A) and has a very low level of D3 for animals that aren't receiving UVB. Repashy Calcium Plus would be a far better supplement. Again, this has nothing to do with your current concerns.

You've had them only a short time; have you contacted the seller? It may be worth getting their opinion.

A vet visit is never a bad idea, if it is a qualified exotics vet. A dog and cat vet can do more harm than good.

You can find a qualified exotics vet here:

Reactions: Woodswalker
1 - 8 of 8 Posts