Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys store your media? Im thinking bout double bagging and throwing in freezer, im using the potatie flake, powdered sugar and brewers yeast recipe

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If you have issues with meal moths, flour beetles or other small larder pests keep it in a gasket box, or similar container. When I was making my own media, the gasket box let me shake it to remix it before use to make sure the ingredients weren't settling out. The gasket keeps you from standing in a cloud of fine dust particles everywhere including in your nose....

Ed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but I was wondering if the finished fruit fly medium can be stored at all.

I made my first batch, and made far too much, is it better to just toss the rest? Or can you keep it in the fridge or something to make future cultures?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I've frozen excess before and used it. I either let it thaw at room temperature or pop it in the microwave with a little extra moisture until slightly warm and let it cool to room temperature.

Ed

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've frozen excess before and used it. I either let it thaw at room temperature or pop it in the microwave with a little extra moisture until slightly warm and let it cool to room temperature.

Ed
Dumb question...will freezing kill the yeast in your dry mix??? Or does it not need to be active??*

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Dumb question...will freezing kill the yeast in your dry mix??? Or does it not need to be active??*
The yeast in the dry mix, is typically an inactive/dead yeast used to bump up the nutrition so no worries there. As for live active yeasts, they can be stored in the freezer.

However if you add live yeast, freeze and then warm in the microwave you can kill the live yeasts.

Ed

Reactions: erik s

·
Registered
294 Posts
Glad this subject came up. I don't need a lot of FF, so I made up a large cereal container of mix which I have had for about a year making up one culture every two weeks or so. ( A half a cup goes a long way.) Flour beetles began to accumulate and since I use boiling water, I didn't think they were a problem. However, the last two cultures are not doing too well. The first I may have used too much water.. all the seeding FF died. I added more FF and they too died. I scooped most of the top layer off of the cereal container (which had clumped some and contained most of the beetles) and made a new culture. It is doing okay. I think if you have the room in your freezer, it would be a good idea to freeze it unless you use it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Those dog food storage containers they sell at pet stores (along the same lines of Ed's gasket containers) work great.
I moved my media to gasket boxes when meal moths started getting into the media. That stopped it pretty quickly.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts