Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try these? I have a ton of the harlequin kind for my chameleons and the babies are pretty small. Maybe the size of a hydei max. Good idea? Bad idea?

If it's okay to feed them, would anyone be interested in them if I cultured a few for people to test out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
There are discussions in the frognet archives of people using seed bugs as feeders, these are usually boxelder bugs and are maintained on sunflower seeds. In the reports in the frognet archives, wild caught frogs were problematic in accepting them while captive bred frogs were more likely to accept them.

Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are not seed bugs. These are Murgantia histrionica and they feed on the crucifer family of plants (mustard greens, collard greens, cabbage, whitetop, etc.)

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
If you look at the pictures of box elder bugs you will notice that the pattern and color are very similar to the species you are discussing... based on that I would expect to see a similar pattern of acceptance/refusal in frogs, and this is what I was referencing.

Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh! I was wondering more about the nutritional/variety aspect. I suppose it can't hurt.

Would anyone be interested in testing some if I breed them? I would send eggs to hatch for dart frogs.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
You are aware that is against the law to ship plant pests across state borders without permits?

Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. I didn't think about them being plant pests. I guess it slipped my mind.

I thought I've read that it is okay as long as they are already established in that area/state. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Hmm. I didn't think about them being plant pests. I guess it slipped my mind.

I thought I've read that it is okay as long as they are already established in that area/state. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, according to the law, you cannot ship them across a state border without a permit even if they are found in that state. If they are established within a state you can trade/sell within that state but not across the borders.

Just so you know. People do get busted for this stuff..

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.