Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you feed stinging nettle to your tads. How do you prepare it after picking the leaves? I placed some in a paper sack and dried it in my drier. It seemed to me that there is no need to grind it after that, as it flaked out quite readily.

Is this consistent with what you do?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The dumbest question is the question never asked.....

Hi,
I come from a school of thought where the dumbest question is the question never asked. So what is the deal with stinging nettle? And why as a tadpole food? What is the ingredient that makes this a special item for tadpole food?

I got plenty on my backyard. Personally, I hate the stuff. They should have called it, stings-you-at-first-then-hurts-you-all-day-nettle. Where is the article or the data that suggests that this is a good idea for tadpole rearing. I would be interested in reading it.

Curious as ever,
Dave

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think the idea came from Europe... It was pretty much whatever the Europeans do, must be a good thing...

Sera Micron, Aquarian Flake... all of these are European origin.

SB

G

·
I use it and think its great. Pick it, hang it in your kitchen (you will look very Tuscan), let it dry, and when you are having a bad day go at it with a mortar and pestle. I simplify the process by going to the health food store and buying it in bulk ;)

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think I read some posts on frognet that it contains large counts of folic acid, which a lot of people think will help prevent spindley leg syndrome.
It was also discussed that spinach also has large amounts of folic acid, but also contains another(sorry I forgot what) chemical which can inhibit calcium absorption.
I've fed my auratus tads stinging nettle, and they came out fine, they also came out fine without it though.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
A cheap coffee grinder helps a lot for grinding it. I ordered a pound for my tadpole mix that I will hopefully soon be selling. I tried doing it the mortar and pestle way, but I could never get it fine enough. The coffee grinder I got for $15 does a much better job than I ever could, especially on the stems. Make sure you get a coffee grinder that will set to fine or ultra fine (esspresso).

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Homer,

I just add it to my 5g bucket of tadpole tea. I also make sure bits/pieces of it end up in the water. I don't specifically feed with it so much as make my tt with it. I know if bits/pieces of it end up in the container with a tad they'll get nibbled on.

s

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yes, Steve is right that the nettle is supposed to be high in B-complex vitamins, including folic acid, which is an important compound for development in many organisms. So, it's theorized that it might help prevent spindly.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
steelcube said:
I think the idea came from Europe... It was pretty much whatever the Europeans do, must be a good thing...

Sera Micron, Aquarian Flake... all of these are European origin.

SB
lol

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trey said:
Actually, im pretty sure its formic acid. ill look up to be sure and then post a link.
Formic acid is what is in the nettles that causes the burning sensation. When the leaves are dried, it breaks down. Folic acid is a b-complex vitamin that is present in relatively high concentrations in the nettle leaves themselves.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, we must have posted less than 30 seconds apart. Your second post wasn't up when I wrote the follow-up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts