Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if any of you out there have been successful in stimulating your leucs to breed. From what I understand, they are seasonal breeders, and many people seem to have difficulty getting them to lay unless the "stars are aligned" just right.

Tincs.com indicates that he can stimulate breeding simply by misting heavily and changing a few things . . . but he doesn't say much more. Have any of you had success in getting your leucs to breed regularly? What are your secrets?

I have 2 pair in a tank that is nicely planted, and it has a coco hut as well. The males call incessantly, but no love from the females yet. What gives? All hints greatly appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
I think that Leucs are seasonal breeders. The male calls everyday, but the female isnt listening i guess :lol: . I've tried more misting and warmer temps but i dosent seem to make a diffrence.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've heard alot of people saying that they are seasonal breeders but this hasn't been the case for me. I have a 1.2 trio that has been going at it for at least six months and produce a clutch about every ten days. I also have a pair of fine spots that's been producing quite well for about two years on and off.
Maybe it's luck - I dunno. But hey a "season" is what we make it in a glass cage. We control the length of day, humidity, rain fall, temperature. About the only thing we can't control is the barometric pressure.
Mine are at 77 during the day, 69 at night. Humidity nearly 100 % (all glass tops). Day/night cycle of 14/10. Misting twice a day for 1 minute.

Donn

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Donn,

Other than the twice daily misting, your conditions sound identical to mine. Of course, my females might still be a little young, but they should be maturing quickly with the rate at which they are packing away the flies!

Melissa,

I haven't tried the big band music, but do you have to blow bubbles, too? :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
I havent tried lowering the humidity then raising it. Im gonna try it. Do your guys' Leucs lay eggs on your Broms or under a coco hut? My pair lay on the broms, plus the coco hut is coverd in moss and pretty much coverd the opening.

G

·
0 Posts
Broms, broms, and more broms

I have found the bigger the brom you can put in with your leucs the better. Mine only lay on brom leafs. And they didnt start laying untill I put 2 to 3 large leafed broms in their tank. Now Im finding eggs almost twice a week. Good luck.
Shawn

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Mine occasionally lay in the broms but normally in the hut.

I should have also said in my post earlier that my leuc vivs are very heavily planted.

Donn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts