Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help of were to find artificial rock backgrounds because here in Quebec there are so hard to find and without one for my stick bug tank I cant make a cool vivarium.Without one and the plants cant be put into different levels,were should I go suggestions please.
Water Plant Natural environment Botany Vegetation

·
Registered
189 Posts
Might be easier/cheaper to just look into how to sculpt your own faux stones out of foam. After sculpting to your liking you would only really need drylock and some stain.

Imperfections are what makes things look naturalistic.. something I have to tell myself when designing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are those North American sticks or Indian sticks? I've bred Diapheromera femorata before for two generations. And may or may not have owned Indian stick insects at one point in time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you feeding em? oak or black locast?
I am currently feeding them white oak but I have fed them raspberry leaves in the past.but I do believe I may have made a new discovery because I once put Spanish stone crop in there tank as an accent plant and they ate the whole plant in under 1 month.

·
Registered
284 Posts
THIS STUFF???!
Plant Plant community Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Tree

If so that would be great! Hated having to feed the juvies black locust and getting fresh leaves, you are talking about Diapheromera femorata right? do you have males and females?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Since this species is usually found in trees, have you considered a cork background instead? Zoo med has flat panels with a bark texture if you want something fast and easy. Then there are cork board tiles if you want something cheaper but less natural looking. Lastly, there is the cork mosaic background method that consists of pieces of cork bark siliconed to the back glass with sphagnum moss stuffed firmly in the crevices. If you search this board you will find plenty of cork mosaic backgrounds. Here's pictures of a work in progress cork mosaic vivarium and the cork tiles.

Edit: here is a vivarium background built using the cork board tiles: 70x50x65cm Vivarium Build.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts