Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've recently sold off most of my snakes. They had a few pieces of wood in the cages (mostly to climb on and rub against while shedding) that I would like to use in a dart viv. Really neat twisty wood that came from the Columbia River. But over the years, these things have been crapped on numerous times. What's the best way to get rid of any icky stuff that might harm the frogs?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I try washing it off with a bleach mix, and then baking unless its wood that will crack under the heat. Can't be too safe when it comes to that. I have tons of driftwood, mongrove swamps are completely filled, but I am sure to take certain pieces so that its still nice and I don't take any fiddler crab's home.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Don't use BLEACH

I strongly suggest you not use bleach to disinfect your wood. No matter how hard you try, you will never be 100% sure all of the bleach will be out of the wood.

I have heard from more than one person who used a 'great piece of wood' they picked up at a herp show, only to find out later (after their frogs died) the seller had treated it with Bleach.

Melis

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have used a product called Virasan. It is a nontoxic antibiotic and fungicide. I use it on all of my cages and bowls. You buy a gallon of it and then dilute with water in a spray bottle. Ususally the make up is something like 1 part of Virasan to 20 parts water. The color is dark blue when in concentrate and when you dilute it, it should be powder blue. Here is a link to purchase it: http://www.livestockconcepts.com/VirosanSolution.html

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Yes, that is whay we use as well. Only problem, it only works if the germs are on the surface.

If there is any kind of junk (poop) it can not sterilize it.

jkinsey said:
I have used a product called Virasan. It is a nontoxic antibiotic and fungicide. I use it on all of my cages and bowls. You buy a gallon of it and then dilute with water in a spray bottle. Ususally the make up is something like 1 part of Virasan to 20 parts water. The color is dark blue when in concentrate and when you dilute it, it should be powder blue. Here is a link to purchase it: http://www.livestockconcepts.com/VirosanSolution.html

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of the pieces are pretty long, so I guess I'll soak them in hot water in the bathtub and scrub them down with chlorine bleach. I'm not worried about the chlorine, because it evaporates after a few days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts