Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering coco panels aren't cheap, I was wondering if there is an effective way of sterilizing them without destroying them in the process. I don't think its truly possible, as it is highly absorbant and may take forever to leach anything out. I've considered my own method of soaking in a mild bleach or mild soapy water for a day, then soak them a number of times in distilled water, to remove all the traces.

Once again, perhaps I should just suck it up and buy a new one from Herp supplies. Its either that, or the hard way by taking the mantellas out, remove the coco panel, put them back in, and put the old coco panel in the mantellas new cage that I'm working on. Its either that or sterilze the relatively new (it's pretty dry, nothing's grown on it) and nearly destroy it, so my tricolor's can have that cage.

rain

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
When tearing down a tank and setting up a new one I mostly just pitch everything. Of course their are a few rare plants of special items I might keep. I started throwing out cork bark, coconut huts, rocks, .... Some of this could be bleached and dried out but I'd sooner not take chances.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
really? That's a great idea. Just gotta be careful NOT to melt the silicone that holds the panel together.

I still think a salt bath and a mild soapy water bath would be effective, as long as I let it sit long enough in distilled water to let osmosis take away the chemicals.

I know, it sounds pretty frugal, but its a perfectly good panel. Like I said, it's almost dry, with virtually nothing on it. The tank has only been set up for 2 months.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anybody try using a UV sterilzer for ponds to sterilize bark or backgrounds?

About sterilizatoin of plants, the only thing one can really do is to remove ALL the soil around the root ball, and let them sit in a mild bleach solution. While this may kill the pathogens, I have heard this method is a hit or miss, meaning you can kill the plant in the process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts