Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have been keeping larger frogs for a while and want to move on to some thumbnails. I have read what I can find but haven't found all that much. I am specifically interested in imitators, vents and intermedius'. If anyone could post some detailed info on any of these that would be great. Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
At least in my experience vents are a little more bold than imitators and a cost a little less too. They should make a good starter thumb.

MarkJ said:
Hello everyone I have been keeping larger frogs for a while and want to move on to some thumbnails. I have read what I can find but haven't found all that much. I am specifically interested in imitators, vents and intermedius'. If anyone could post some detailed info on any of these that would be great. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
starter thumbs

I have found my imitators to be more bold then my vents lol. I think either would be a great starter thumb. Intermedius are just too expensive and "rare" for peoples first thumb, in my opinion. I would go with vents or imitators, you should be happy with either of them.

What kind of detailed info are you looking for?

G

·
0 Posts
good question

I think I'm about ready to do the same in a few months (or as soon as I can get them!).

My question is how is their care different from the care of larger frogs like tincs and azureus? Is it the set up and design of the housing...more bromeliads, taller tank? Can they be kept in shoeboxes for the first few months the way you can keep larger froglets?

Thanks!

Ken

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering what would be a good sized tank for them, I plan to get a custom acyrilic from Understory Enterprises because I love the look of them and think they are great. And also just any pointers or helpful facts about the frogs. Thanks everyone

G

·
0 Posts
Mark,
I keep my imitator in 20 high vert tanks usually.I have a pair in a 15 tall right now.They can be maintained like any other dartfrogs.Mine basically get springtails and fruit flies.There was a major infestation of fungus gnats when I first had the 15 set up but they have taken care of them.One thing I can say is if you use cork for a background make sure ALL small cracks and holes are sealed.If there is one they will find it and they like laying their eggs back there and retreating there.Mine are doing that now and they have done it in the past for me also.Mine are bold and shy depends on the day I guess,LOL.Good luck with whatever choice you decide.I think both species are very nice frogs.
Mark W.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Cork bark

On making sure there are no gaps in the cork, has anyone ever actually had a frog get trapped and die behind the cork otherwise? If not, have you ever considered the fact that the extra hiding area might be beneficial to the frogs well being? I personally haven't tried using background material for my imitator tank, but for the next one, I probably will. If anyone has had a frog die from getting trapped because of their own curiosity, let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts