Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am quite new to the hobby... I have had darts before... 5 D. auratus (1 male, 3 female, 1 nobody could figure out), in a 75 gallon long tank. It went really well! For about 8 months that is... Than my male for some reason just died, than it all went down hill from there. Three years later I'm wanting to give it another try, but don't have the cage available (I also keep snakes). I do have an empty 18x18x24 tall exoterra that I wanted to set up for plants anyways (long time lover and grower of orchids) anyways... After all my research, I feel like the leucomelas would be my best bet... But I've read so many things about how many should be kept in whatever size of vivarium. I've read 1 frog per 10 gallons (so... 12"x 8" of floor space?) I've read, 18x18x18 can comfortably keep 2 adults, I've read that they'll just use vertical space more if floor space isn't as great, I've even read something that size could keep 5 frogs as long as there's enough hiding and nesting areas! Right before reading that it can only house 2... Breeding isn't necessarily a goal here yet (especially since I know these can be difficult breeders anyways), but it would be a plus... And I would like at least 3 anyways (if possible). Anyways, I guess I'm asking for anyone's experiences with keeping leucomelas in tall vivariums... I've been doing my research, but just end up more baffled by what I find on them. Also, I want opinions on not only numbers, but buying them as tadpoles vs frogs... I'd really like to buy tadpoles for two reasons ; one being to save money, as terrible as that sounds.) But mainly to just enjoy watching them grow/go through metamorphosis and having the satisfaction of raising them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In a 18/18/18 exo I would say you could do three leucs comfortably. If you buy 5 you could raise them in there and sell a couple after you sex them. The key is to have a lot of places for them to climb. As far as breeding they can be seasonal breeders however they can also be prolific and easy to breed. Standards are a lot bolder than fine spots and banded leucs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts