Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You know for as many times as this question gets asked, I think I'll just ask what do you like? Provided you have animal husbandry experience, none are really that hard. If you can regularly provide fruit flies and maintain appropriate conditions, there are few species you will not do well with. The best thing is to find a local breeder that has something you are interested in and keep in close contact with that breeder for the first few months until you are sure you are doing things correctly.
j

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
That's good advice, these animals live a long time, and there are so many species that you might like to have, that it would'nt really be in anyones best interest that you start with "x" frog, just because they are cheap and readily available.
I would definatly recomend to stick to a captive bred for a starter though.
My first darts were(are) imitators, I read everything I could on their care, and got the hang of FF culture before aquiring them, and haven't had a lick of trouble.
Just my $0.02

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see what u mean

I see what you mean.............myself i like reginas and blue & black and green & black auratus. Also i was thinking about some new rivers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now all i have is a couple asian white lipped tree frogs hoping to breed but i want to get started in dart frogs

·
Registered
986 Posts
Re: I see what u mean

xAsianxTreeFrogx said:
I see what you mean.............myself i like reginas and blue & black and green & black auratus. Also i was thinking about some new rivers.
Those are all good starter frogs, but the Reginas can be a little more pricey right now. The Blue and Black auratus are a little more shy, but I see mine regularly in the morning and evenings. My New Rivers are out all the time and quite bold, but there are not a lot of people producing them (but you can still find them). I don't have G&B auratus to compare.

All in all, pretty good choices!

Homer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks i am thinking of a couple more i would enjoy having but i cant decide between a green and black auratus or leucomelas 'Orange-banded'. What do you think?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have G+B auratus and I think they are so cool, active hunters. They are somewhat bold at least 2 of the 3 are. The neat thing is their patterns, they make it easy to identify each one. It's kind of funny when I discuss them with my wife b/c the one we believe is the female has bikini bottom pattern on her butt.

The other bonus about auratus is that they are readily available as well as being a little bigger than some species. But like others have said it all depends on your preference. I've liked the look of auratus for a while so my choice was easy. My next will be tinc, and then vents or imitators, and then retics and then.......It's easy to get hooked!
mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts