Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've been doing research on all types of vivs, sizes, etc, and wondering what seems be better: building your own viv, or purchasing pre-made ones (such as those from ZooMed). Just curious which you guys tend find better, and is more accessible for adding appliances to the tank.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well that seems like a hard question to answer since it would depend on your experience, tools available, etc... Unless you're already skilled at building your own aquariums I would probably shy away from doing that until you get the rest of the steps figured out. Then again if you have the skills necessary to build your own I would go that route. It is certainly much much easier to use a pre-built tank for most general applications. Nice solid answer huh?! lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha hey it answered my question. Yeah I have some experience in building tanks, since I have been in the saltwater fish hobby for about 10 years now. But I'm thinking since it's my first PDF tank, may just go easier route with pre-built one. I've been reading around 20gal is good start, is this what you guys recommend? I'm looking at starting no more than 3-4 PDFs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Building your own vivs is one of the fun parts of the hobby for most of us. It's not terribly hard and you'll find a zillion build threads and how-tos here. It might actually be more expensive to build your own than just buy a pre-made one, but with the things left over (eggcrate, cork, substrates, whatever) you'll be ready to make your next one! (And you will.) :) Research what kind of frogs you want (terrestrial, more climb-y) and get a tank to suit them... A ten gallon is doable, but is easier to plant and maintain larger ones. So try 20longs, 20highs, up to 40 gallons or so for your first. You'll be happy you went bigger as frogs will use all the space you give them. Read a lot and have fun!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If you mean actually building the tank (like siliconing the glass together and stuff), then I would say just a buy a pre-made one, either an aquarium tank (like a 10 or 20 gallon) or a zoo-med/ exo-terra style tank.
If you mean just designing the tank in terms of backgrounds, structures, plants, etc., then I prefer to do it myself because it is really up to personal preference and you can do a much better job usually than the "kits" do.
Bryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the helps guys. Yeah I learned that bigger is better when I started my salt tanks. First one I bought just ended up not being big enough, so of course naturally, have to buy one, then two more tanks lol.

I'm figuring I'm gonna buy a viv from Zoo Med, then do my own decorating and such.

Next thing I have is, reading some posts, is it better to drill plumbing into a tank for water, or are there better ways to have water in your tank?

Any posts that help with this, send my way. Appreciate the help

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It depends on how much water you have. What were you thinking of? Waterfall, or stream, or pond, or dripwall, or just for drainage? For the most part, the frogs don't actually use water features; they are more to look nice so it's important not to take up to much space with them. None of my tanks currently have a water feature and I find they can be a pain to set up sometimes; they just aren't worth the hassles/ maintenance for me for the most part. If you are just concerned about drainage, you can have a false bottom with egg crate or a drainage layer of LECA, gravel, etc. and then just siphon out water as needed if you don't feel like drilling in and plumbing the tank.
Bryan

Reactions: Hub_Shark11

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok cool well there learned something new thought they needed the water for environment reasons and help with the humidity of the tank. Do you run misters in your tank? And how is the set up for those?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Pm'd you about some of your questions, but the humidity doesn't require a water feature to stay up. Get it nice and moist, and the humidity should stay up on its own since the tank would be mostly sealed. If you have a small ventilation strip you will just need to mist more because it will dry out faster. Having lots of live plants will also help keep humidity at acceptable levels.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Before purchasing/building your tank it is also a good idea to know what type of frog you plan on housing in it. Some frogs tend to be more aboreal, others ground dwelling, and then there are others that are a combination of the two. Just something to think about as it's always rewarding to build a tank and have your frogs benefit from a home custom built for their needs..........Nice avatar by the way, Banksy kills it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all help guys. I plan on going with either leucs or auratus, and like probably round 4. The rule of thumb is not to mix species right, so these two would work together, or am I getting that wrong?

@randommind And yes, Banksy is a beast! lol

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thanks for all help guys. I plan on going with either leucs or auratus, and like probably round 4. The rule of thumb is not to mix species right, so these two would work together, or am I getting that wrong?

@randommind And yes, Banksy is a beast! lol
Are you asking if mixing leucs and auratus would work, or was it a type and you meant "so these two would not work together, or am I getting that wrong?" I reccommend against mixing; stick with either leucs and auratus and a small group would do well in a 20 gallon.
Bryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That basically answered my question lol. Based on experience, which do you guys typically prefer. I like what I have read about the leucs activity levels, but the colors on some of the auratus are amazing.

I'm guessing it comes down to personal preference, since I read both are pretty good for starting a viv

1 - 14 of 14 Posts