Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've fallen in love with the starry night tree frogs and I'm very tempted to get some with the Josh's frog sale. My main concern is how loud they are? They will be set up in my bedroom so the quieter the better. Anyway I'll either get them or a a dendrobate morph.

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
247 Posts
Hi all! I've fallen in love with the starry night tree frogs and I'm very tempted to get some with the Josh's frog sale. My main concern is how loud they are? They will be set up in my bedroom so the quieter the better. Anyway I'll either get them or a a dendrobate morph.
I was previously really interested in getting reed frogs, but then was concerned about noise (…but then ended up with Santa Isabels, ahem oh well on that noise concern…). I can’t say how annoying reed frogs get irl, but if not having a noisy species in your bedroom is a strong priority, probably best to stick with the dendrobates that aren’t associated with having a “loud call”.
Another consideration is that reed frogs may need some sort of paludarium or riparium set up, which seems more complicated to maintain IMO, as someone newer to the hobby. Another reason why I went with my e. Anthonyii instead. That’s another matter, though.

·
Administrator
4,829 Posts

Reactions: Lovelyk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! I tried searching but obviously didn't do a very good job. That pretty much answers my question

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was previously really interested in getting reed frogs, but then was concerned about noise (…but then ended up with Santa Isabels, ahem oh well on that noise concern…). I can’t say how annoying reed frogs get irl, but if not having a noisy species in your bedroom is a strong priority, probably best to stick with the dendrobates that aren’t associated with having a “loud call”.
Another consideration is that reed frogs may need some sort of paludarium or riparium set up, which seems more complicated to maintain IMO, as someone newer to the hobby. Another reason why I went with my e. Anthonyii instead. That’s another matter, though.
This is all super helpful! And great point about a more complicated set up. I'm definitely all for starting "simple". Thanks!

·
Registered
Mantella baroni, Dendrobates auratus, Afrixalus dorsalis, Theloderma corticale
255 Posts
Reed frogs are the loudest frogs in the world for their size. Hyperolius marmoratus currently holds the record. I have kept them, and their call reaches 90db next to the tank. My Afrixalus are not as loud but still reach up to 80db. That should give you an idea as to how loud reed frogs can be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts