Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do when your cultures start to stall? By stalling I mean tons of worms but no flies. I have a few cultures that are a little over a month old and have a good amount of medium left. The culture produced tons of flies for the first couple weeks, but now it's just loaded with worms and no flies have hatched in over a week.

Should I just dump it, worms and all, and start a new culture?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's Hydei. But these cultures were set up on 10/8 and about 2 weeks ago produced tons of flies. Now they have lots of worms but no flies since.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Jarred,

I have noticed with D. hydei that they don't always produce a second hatch. I don't know if it is lack of food, lack of moisture, or what. I've been using just your basic medium designed for melanogaster so I don't know if you may get better results with a hydei medium. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Brad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a reason that all these worms will not enter the pupa phase? The first hatches were giving up dozens of flies each day for almost 2 weeks, now these worms just move around the jar and won't pupate. Temps are still around 75.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Hydei have a 30 day life cycle. What probably happened is that there was a population bottleneck due to taking out too many adults. So now there's a gap. Eventually they will pupate, but it might take awhile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.