Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all,

The other day when I was misting the tank my wife and I observed some interesting 'smoke' coming out of the flowers of our pilea (we think it's an involucrata). Upon closer inspection we realized it was actually a little water jet coming out of the flower. :eek:

When misted directly on the flower the water builds up and eventually the flower opens extremely fast and a jet of water squirts to the top of the viv.

We then decided to replicate and actually obtain some evidence. That evidence is here in a short video. :cool:

I see that it's a bit hard to identify in this small window so you can just go here: http://youtu.be/KD-jlyllpAA

- ryan

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, that how they pollinate themselves. Ive seen another video of this (on DB). I few weeks later, the person had random pileas popping up. It either shoots pollen or seeds. Ill try and find it.
Super cool to see.

·
Registered
708 Posts
That's pretty interesting. I am having a hard time seeing it in the video, but that might be due to me viewing it on an iPhone.
I also have this plant and I'd like to see this type of activity from it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty interesting. I am having a hard time seeing it in the video, but that might be due to me viewing it on an iPhone.
I also have this plant and I'd like to see this type of activity from it.
The puffs are somewhat difficult to see - my camera is not the best. If you watch where the cursor is you'll see a few of them go off. It really looks like little puffs of smoke.

- ryan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I'm not mistaken, that how they pollinate themselves. Ive seen another video of this (on DB). I few weeks later, the person had random pileas popping up. It either shoots pollen or seeds. Ill try and find it.
Super cool to see.

Ha! I had no idea what was going on. :D Could spell trouble though - these things grow super fast in my viv. That plant tripled in size (at least) in 3 weeks. I've already had to cut it back.

Thanks for finding the link and the info.

- ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts