Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have never seen this before with any frog. 3 of my red galacts were up in the corner on a log and the fattest (presumably female) was stroking/laying on another one. The frog being stroked had its rear hanging off the log and all of a sudden squirted something out of it's rear in 3 squirts that went 6-8". Has anyone seen this before? Wondering if it was urine.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have not seen or heard of that before in darts. In tree frogs I see it regularly as a response to a threat real or otherwise. The only other option is one you should have been filiming for posting on the seedy side of the internet.

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
voiding water from the bladder like this is common in all anurans I've dealt with when they are disturbed. It may not be noticed as the frog/toad voids the water before it can be lifted off the substrate.

Ed

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am wondering if what you observed was sperm being dispersed? They were in a odd position, but I would think they might be trying to breed out in the open. The stroking sounds like what a tinc female does to a male to initiate breeding.

Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I catch my tinctorius and leucomelas "squirting" from time to time. They are always by themselves when they do it. I have always assumed that they were peeing.

Richard.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I would vote It was just peeing a little. When reptiles and amphibians getting startled or scared sometimes they will pee a little. Or maybe it just had to go..?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Usually when I sit in my bed I sometimes "squirt" som..... Ohhhh nevermind. What color was it? It could be urine or something

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My mossies used to do that every time I opened the door to their viv...had to make sure they weren't facing away from me or else I would get super-soaked when I opened the door. Started just standing off to the side when I fed to avoid a mess. Never seen my darts do it though...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
voiding water from the bladder like this is common in all anurans I've dealt with when they are disturbed. It may not be noticed as the frog/toad voids the water before it can be lifted off the substrate.

Ed
am i the only one that can see the question was answered (CORRECTLY)? or do some posts not show on all peoples computers?

·
Registered
701 Posts
am i the only one that can see the question was answered (CORRECTLY)? or do some posts not show on all peoples computers?
I'm sorry just wanted to post that :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts