Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are springtails difficult to start culturing inside of a tank? They sound like a good idea for supplemental food. I've always seen cultures for sale here and there, but have heard they are hard to produce-perhaps because I had not been keeping dart frogs at the time and set ups were vastly different for other animals. Is there a preferable substrate for them if you want them to be more prolific? Thanks. :)
Kevin

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
They are not difficult to culture at all. I use hardwood charcoal for ease of use, but I have heard others have good luck using peat. Feed them white rice, and cucumber peel. The food should be gone in 3-4 days, then feed more 3 days after that. To get them started in a tank put lots of them in, if there are frogs in the tank move some substrate and put them in and cover them up so frogs dont eat them all. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
springtails are incredibly easy to produce. I have way more than I need. I keep them on charcoal, and then feed them yeast or white rice (uncooked) about once a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts