Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a tropical springtail culture from Josh's frogs and it arrived last week. I dumped it into a larger container and added natural mesquite charcoal and an inch of water. I also added a bit of leaf litter on top.

For food I put in some dry rice, but I am concerned that maybe I added to much? I know these guys eat decomposing material, but the amount of mold/growth coming off of the rice is crazy. Is this normal, or am I overfeeding them? I probably put 15 pieces in.

There is a fair amount of activity, but the Springtails seem much smaller then ones I've seen in videos, how long do they take to grow?

·
Registered
220 Posts
The mold is fine. That is actually what they feed on. I've tried dry rice and didn't do much good with it. I personally just feed bakers yeast with a mushroom once in a while.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just make sure there's enough ventillation, otherwise CO2 buildup could be a concern with all the mold in there. I second the bakers yeast, works fine for me also.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can just add to it. But I'd give the springs time to eat the rice mold first. To me they didn't seem to like it as well as the yeast though and I even ground it up to a powder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts