Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to help get my springtails to procreat. :) I have had 2 cultures set up now for several weeks. One is about 1.5in-2in or lump coal with about 1/4in of water , and the other is the same setup but instead of lump coal I used LECA balls. I am sprinkiling a good amount of bakers yeast over the cultures about once a week... that is 2-3 hefty pinches...giving a nice sprinkle over the cultures. Could I be using to much??? the only other thing I can figure that could be wrong is tempurature... my wife like the apartment on the warm side? what do spring tails need temp wise?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Most experts recomend keeping them in the coolest part of the house. Mine seem to do fine at room temp(68 to 76). I've noticed that giving too much food slows them way down. A tip from someone else is about right, feed about once a week, the food should be gone within 4 days if not feed less next feeding.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Temps are most likely your problem. I have the same setup as the charcoal one, and I never have problems with production. I keep mine on the cement floor downstairs. If you have an air conditioner or fans going, try setting the culture near it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
springtail

i have a tropical collombella species which i keep under complete darkness in a warm cupboard. the bottom of the clear plastic recepticle in which they live is covered in about 2-3cm of special porous substrate. i give them one engevita nutritional yeast flake every day and also a sprinkle of specially formulated collombella food from holland. i also have a tomocerus longicornis culture which i keep rather cooler (it is placed near an open window). the latter species is kept on the same substrate as the colombella but is exposed to a natural day/night light cycle and has a layer of oak leaf litter on the surface of the substrate. their diets are both the same except because the larger tomocerus longicornis is slower to reproduce it is fed slightly less frequently.
colombella are about 4mm long and reproduce very quickly under the conditions i have described here whereas tomocerus longicornis can reach 8mm and is grey as opposed to the white colombella, it also naturally reproduces more slowly.

hope this is of some help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts