Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think I read somewhere that a lot of froggers in europe use springtails as a staple food.
I don't know how many cultures you'd have to have to keep a frog fed well with springtails though, and most people think it couldn't be done because it is too hard to dust springtails with supplements.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Many of my smaller frogs get springtails every day (or nearly every day):
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.cann/ ... tails.html

However, I still feed Drosophila as well - it would indeed be very hard to satisfy more than a small number of frogs with springtails alone.

Like many soil arthropods, springtails are much higher in calcium than nutritionally-deficient feeders such as flies and crickets, so there isn't really any need to dust them (dust does not stick to them anyway!). However, a varied diet is always your best defence against nutritional deficiencies.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's not really a noob question. As AJ stated, many froggers overseas use springtails just as much as flies. I find that feeding springtails eventually makes feeding my frogs much easier. I only feed off flies 2-3 times a week, and I feed springtails off once or twice per week. Many of my vivariums are crawling with springtails at any one time, so I can go several days without ever having to feed my frogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts