Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was wondering i just orderd a springtail kit from eds flymeat and i want to add them to my tanks before i get frogs do i just put some in and leave them alone or do you need to feed them somthing while there in the tank and how do you get them to come up so the frogs can eat them don't they stay underground. and will they climb the glass can they get out? and will my adult tincs eat them? those are my q's thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you need to feed them depends on how long your tank has been setup. I think that they feed off decomposing plants, mold, etc. I dumped some in my tank about a month ago with some pasta, and didn't think that they had seeded, so I took the pasta out shortly after. Several days ago I saw tons of them crawling around all over the place. So, they have been surviving fine it seems off the natural stuff in the vivarium. They do climb a little, but it seems like it is mostly to get to the moisture build up on the side of the tank.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i need to put about 50 in each tank or more and put some pasta in there what kind of pasta? and i'm just afraid of them climbing out i have glass tops but theres places for air to get in that they could get out my tank height is 18in would they climb that high?

·
Registered
886 Posts
They will mostly stay in the substrate or on plants... I don't see them leaving the humid organic enviornment of a viv in any numbers. I have lots of springtails (cultures that are not airtight and in tanks) and have never seen them in houseplant soucers (though I heard this is a good place for them to show up) or elsewhere.

If some did "escape" I don't think you would ever know.

Josh

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you only get one culture, don't put them in the tank right away. Say they don't all live, then you have no springtails. If you let the culture grow a little (which will happen fast), then put some in the tank, you will have a backup, plus the backup will grow so you can subculture it into another tank down the road. Or order one starter kit and one culture. Put the culture in the tank, and the starter culture to have grow on the side. the container that comes with the starter kit can possibly hold both cultures (in seperate containers) for shipping purchases so that shipping won't go up due to the oversize box. ED's sent mine via USPS, not FedEx, and I got my package in two days, so I wouldn't pay the shipping price for overnight. 2 days is not guaranteed, but possible. Springtails are pretty hardy in the cooler temps. Just my advice.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I skimmed through the responses and didn't see anyone address your last question. My 3 adult tincs will slurp down as many spring tails as they can (I've not had luck keeping springtails going in their viv, but at least I know they vary their diet some), I've witnessed my leucs do the same. The auratus I have are so shy I never really see them eat (though they must be eating something).

Feeding phyllobates springtails is a waste, my aurotaenia tank practically became overrun with springtails (to the point I was worried they'd stress the frogs).

-Tad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts