Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello-

I have a few springtails and might get a pair of Pumilio and hear they require small food for their frogglets. I am just wondering how to Propagate these little buggers.

I have a garbage bag full of my substrate material (zoo med coco husk, sphagnum moss and pete moss) just waiting for my next viv and am wondering if i just threw in the springtails if they would continue to grow? and if so would they get out of hand? Just wondering how to go about things. Any help would be great.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
yup, I just threw mine into a plastic shoe box with some semi moist coco brick bedding. I drop in a slice of mushroom every few days. Its exploding

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
They are easy to propagate.You might want to do a search as there are a bit of posts on them.Keep in mind if they get overpopulated they will stop producing so you will need to split them before they get to that point.You will also have to feed them.Look them up there is a lot of info on them.Are these your first frogs?Pumilio are not the best frogs to learn on.
Lou

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No these are not my first. I have three Leuca's right now and they are my first frogs. I actually am just wondering how to grow more springtails to help break down the crap in my viv's and for future frogs. My true desire for my next frogs would be some terribilis, but some people where i live are placing an order on the pumilios and told me about the cool breeding habits and so I thought better to start preparing a mix of springtails just in case ha.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Springtails are a great source of foood and reproduce fast! I have a viv that has been set up for about a month that is crawling with springs. There has to be millions or billions in there. With springs i add cut up white mushrooms and they reproduce like crazy.

I see you like the big frogs, I am completly oppasite. I love smaller frogs but I research them months to years before I get them. I would recommend the Terribilis because you have larger frogs and I think you will enjoy them better. Pumilios are TINY!!! You dont no how big till you see them. Plus I have learned from a wise frogger that you should have a thumbnail species before considering pums. I just think you wil enjoy the terribilis better.
So thats my opinion.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I put charcoal(available in plant stores as orchard substrate) in a plastic shoe box. Feed a few grains of white rice and mist weekly. They have exploded. I can't even feed all of them. 3 shoe box fulls and a couple of fly containers. I'm gonna need more frogs! Any donations?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice and help. Its hard not to totally love a hobby with such a great group of passionate people willing to help and share, thanks. And yeah I REALLY want the Terriblilis, they really are quite tailored to what I want. Just need to find some that arent 150 a frog ha, as a struggling student cheaper is always needed ha.

Ps- zBrinks thanks for the vid link.. very helpful.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Fish flakes are fine as a food source.. thier main drawback in my experience is that it tends to be better for mites than springtails.

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts