Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wondering how long the life cycles are for tropical springtails and dwarf white isopods. I've also been wondering how they reproduce -- is i sexually or is either species hermaphroditic?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
So I've been wondering how long the life cycles are for tropical springtails and dwarf white isopods. I've also been wondering how they reproduce -- is i sexually or is either species hermaphroditic?
I mostly just grow them. Not much for tracking their generations. This is simply an...let's call it an observational guess. Temperate springtails, very fast, maybe 2 or 3 weeks till new babies are grown up having their own young-uns.
Dwarf Whites and Dwarf Gray/Striped, slower, maybe 2 months if properly fed and kept between 70's to 80.
Giant Oranges, probably 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know that the developmental period from egg to adult in D. melanogaster is about 10 days at room temperature. C. elegans has a developmental period of 3.5 days at 20°C, and 2.5 days at 25°C. I'd imagine that period for springtails would be somewhere in between those two species.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
One of the white springtails in the hobby Folsomia candida is parthenogenic.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts