Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added springtales to my tank and after a few weeks am finally begining to see them walking around. The only problem is that alot of them seem to be falling into my water feature. They dont seem to die in the water but alot get stuck in it. Does anyone else have this problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
springtails

my tank is 50/50 land/shallow water and the springtails always fall into the water. however i have discovered that by having lots of things i.e. bog wood, plants etc. breaking the water surface it increases the surface tension and the springtails can walk across the surface film untill they get to the bog wood which they climb out onto. magic.
hope you find this usefull.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to stear this thread in a different direction, but do springtails ever get into the false bottom?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
They can crawl through the dirt/substarte. If the screening isn't smaller then the springtails (which would be some small screening), they would be able to fall down there. Are you talking about the eggcrate or leca because if it was a leca bottom they could climb back up I would believe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
springtails

i am certain that springtails at various stages of their development are sufficiently small that they will be able to climb thorugh most screens commonly available, wether they will and in numbers great enough to affect their population size is unknown.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I don't think they can go beneath the water's surface. I notice them swirling around at the water surface level in the viv, even in parts that are below the LECA level. I never see them underneath the water's surface.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, they can't that is one of the cool things about springtails. They are on the insects that can be supported by water surface tension.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Springtails love water , ive found that my vivs with water have springtails for a much longer time then with out available water. Ive also observed my frogs sitting either in the water or on the edge feasting on the springtails in the water.I now add springtails to all my vivs when required along with new leaf litter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts