Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three different springtail cultures (white) that have been producing for a few months. During the last few weeks I have been feeding off of the small culture and haven't bothered the two larger ones. Tonight I opened one of the larger one and noticed that they were no longer white bugs in the culture but brown. They seem to be smaller and round in shape instead of elongated. I guess the question is are they mites or some other bug. There do seem to be some springtails mixed in but not many, would it be best to toss the whole thing?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only thing I have fed is sliced mushrooms.

So the frogs will eat them, I am a little concerned about the risk of having a mite problem if a few get out of the culture.

·
Banned
915 Posts
if they are mites when you put the mushroom in there check it from time to time they will cluster on the shroom, and use mag leaves with fish flake too spray it to make fish food stick to the leaf and as they cluster you can pull them out and feed them to your frog or trash them. I had a mite problem and did this and cleared out all the mites in a few weeks

Only thing I have fed is sliced mushrooms.

So the frogs will eat them, I am a little concerned about the risk of having a mite problem if a few get out of the culture.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
First course of action should be to determine whether the mites were in the cultures already and just took over, if they came from an external source like the stand/shelf/closet you keep the culture(s) in or from the food items fed to them. You said you are using sliced mushrooms...How are you storing these before use? Hopefully we can clean this issue up, and preserve some of your cultures too! BTW Frogmanchu has a good point here, they may be able to be removed/at least controlled by periodic removal...

JBear

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
start some fresh cultures, and keep your mite cultures. Mites are a BIG part of pdf diet in the wild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts