Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just wanted to share this video I took of some springtails in the small water area of my tank. It pretty interesting but can't figure out the reason why its happening. Anybody else experience this before? Any ideas what's going on? It started with just a few and is now double what is in the video :eek:

Don't mind the background noise. lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe they cant get out of the water and are releasing a "come here" pheromone which is causing more to fall in the water and they are coming together to make a raft to try to survive? I know some ants exhibit similar behavior.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Are you serious? Springtails have no problem moving from water to dry areas.

Maybe they cant get out of the water and are releasing a "come here" pheromone which is causing more to fall in the water and they are coming together to make a raft to try to survive? I know some ants exhibit similar behavior.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
To me, that indicates that you have a very healthy population of springtails and is totaly normal.

Toss some FF's in the water and see what happens. hehe

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To me, that indicates that you have a very healthy population of springtails and is totaly normal.

Toss some FF's in the water and see what happens. hehe
Haha, I haven't started culturing fly's yet. What happens?

And yeah, I'm not worried, just curious as to what they are doing..reproducing,eating etc.

Thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no springtail expert. I have had some in my possession for less than 2 weeks. I am only commenting on their "rafting" behavior which is also exhibited in ant species.

Fire Ant Raft Video
Haha. Yeah I've seen that in ants. But springtails literally "walk on water" so I was just curious why they are congrgating there lol Thanks for your input though!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got some further info from Ed. and I quote:

"The springtails are feeding on the biofilm that occurs on the surface of the water. They used to be considered aquarium pests in the old fish books...

Ed "

For future reference. :)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I believe they are congregating due to a disturbance in the surface tension of the water. Same way Cheerios do.

·
Registered
527 Posts
my female azureus loves this phenomenon. the water is about ankle deep on her. whenever they pile up like this she makes her way down and handles the situation.

i culture my springs in a tub of hydroton with the water level about 1/2" below the surface of the hydroton. when its time to add some to a viv, i just tilt the container, they float up, and i spoon them into the viv. recently started feeding them tropical fish flakes instead of old salad, rice, and fruit, (thanks for the idea doug!) ... i can't feed them out fast enough =) ... congrats on having a good colony in that tank. your frogs will love it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
First off very cool vid.

my female azureus loves this phenomenon. the water is about ankle deep on her. whenever they pile up like this she makes her way down and handles the situation.

i culture my springs in a tub of hydroton with the water level about 1/2" below the surface of the hydroton. when its time to add some to a viv, i just tilt the container, they float up, and i spoon them into the viv. recently started feeding them tropical fish flakes instead of old salad, rice, and fruit, (thanks for the idea doug!) ... i can't feed them out fast enough =) ... congrats on having a good colony in that tank. your frogs will love it.
Never even thought to try hydroton. I have some extra. I will definately give it a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts