Dendroboard banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
By the way, my second time viewing The Major, i heard your cry of joy when he ate and
It was beautiful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm a little concerned. My lemur is doing weird things with his mouth.. and the 2 crickets in the cage are still there, they are not eating. Maybe they used to be hand fed?

And for Warner, does anyone know anything about edema? Because of Warners size I'm concerned. As it could be mostly water weight.

Click to see the Lemur>>>
LEMUR PLEASE WATCH

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
You mentioned the open mouth thing before. It was attention-surpassed by the grays conversation.

No the opening mouth is not from being hand fed. Unless he were injured from it. If the ppl at the store told you "he likes to be hand fed" and the implication being thats how they fed him, it was a red flag.

Frogs will gape for a few moments to minutes which is followed by wiping motions with hind and front legs, feet. A gossamer like film will be seen along the body of the frog being pulled into the mouth and swallowed.

He could have an A deficiency affecting his mouth tissues and overall membrane integrity. Or he could have a respiratory infection.
Another thing is getting caught in deep or moving water features where water is aspirated into the lungs. Small cages with too long duration of 'blind' misting where there is no harborage escape or mobility is fey (tiny froglets or the impaired)

I am not going to guess.

I dont wa t to guess with Warner either but as a water guide for myself I use distilled to mist and for tree frog and toad pools i use a bottled water with a baby safe logo. I want there to be what is called Total Dissolved Solids in a pool with an anuran that uptakes a significant quench in his 'seating' as a normal regulatory factor.

There are other ways of making nice frog pool water but the above is an expedient solution to providing it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello all, I also have some questions about the LEMURs, one did pass away, so sadly there is just one now. There was no indication or anything that stuck out to me in their behaviour that would suggest illness.

Major is back to his normal cricket eating self and is chirping and loving his new tank and vertical vines. Warner still has not shown me any signs of eating yet but it seems like he's in hibernation mode because all he wants to do is sleep. But he seems much more happy with the new tank and bio active atmosphere. I still give them pedialyte to drink some of the time. They are both sticky as ever again. The other Lemur seems fine and seems like it too just wants to just sleep although I saw him hunting yesterday. They are extremely fragile and I am so upset about the other ones death. Ever since I had changed the atmosphere to a bioactive one, the tank has started to produce a fuzzy mold like substance that is growing on the top of the soil. Does anyone know what this could be and how I should treat it? Is this stuff what killed the first lemur? The poor baby looked like he was literally petrified and crippled and looked like he was dried up when he was found dead. I sprayed and kept the humidity level up like crazy. Should I move this lemur to another tank now?

And lilly seems well. Still just the half the size of the tip of my little finger. I fear that the mold is slightly appearing in that tank as well. She stays on one little leaf, the highest of them all under the heat lamp. I keep it warm so I don't think that's an issue. Also, I don't think she has eyelids, is this normal?

Please help, I'm asking you all because you really helped me save my others.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
No, the mold didn't kill your frog, and is normal. Was this the frog that was doing weird things with its mouth?

A dead frog that is dried up is in a viv that is too dry. What is the humidity level? How often do you mist, at what times of the day? What is the ventilation on the viv (and what size viv)? What are the temps in the viv?

As was pointed out before, your frogs haven't been supplemented properly, and likely are vitamin/mineral deficient, and should see a vet.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Do you still have plastic plants instead of live plants that help hold moisture and higher humidity?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts