Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i seeded my tank with sprigs about 3 weeks ago and i did it maybe the wrong way i mixed the charcoal they came with into the substrate of my viv i see them every once and a while usally i have to dig down for them to check them out i got 2 cultures and mixed them for my 36x18 viv and still not to much of an explosion of growth out of them i am worried i may have nuked them or something

·
Registered
275 Posts
Haha just give em some time. Put some leaf litter down in the bottom of the terrarium on top of the substrate and they'll pick up eventually

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kk thx i do have leaf litter down i guess it is not alot but ill put some yeast down too see if they pop up and say hi

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Feeding them will definitely help. I use only yeast in my cultures because there is less chance of mites. Your viv will get mites anyway. It is inevitable. Therefore, introducing detritus mites in your viv is no big deal. So use mushrooms to feed the springtails in your viv. They will reproduce even faster than with just yeast.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
what kind of mushrooms should i use???
Just cheap ones. White button or whatever they call them. You can use whatever mushrooms are safe for consumption but why spend a lot for gourmet? I don't think the bugs care. Don't use canned. Fresh or dried are fine.
If you have frogs in the viv then make sure you tuck them down under the leaf litter, otherwise your frogs may sit near the mushroom and just pick off the springtails as they come to feed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you very much so just and mushroom at the store wash it of and break a chunck off and put it in there then they will flock to it cool stuff well now that that is out of the way i guess i should post my viv up

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
question about temps with springtails, are they more likely to breed between 75-80+ and is there a type of mushroom they like/eat more to increase reproduction? also what is the reproduction time?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've found you want to feed just enough but not a ton. My temperate seem to like fish flakes, non-boiled rice and those little grocery store tomatoes. I used a mini tomato as a FF feeder station and came to find about 30 springs crawling all over it! Bingo!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
question about temps with springtails, are they more likely to breed between 75-80+ and is there a type of mushroom they like/eat more to increase reproduction? also what is the reproduction time?
I've had success at a variety of temperatures with my springs. Don't know what kind they are though. Some species are temperate, some are tropical and each probably do best at different temperatures. Like I said, my four cultures (I believe they are the temperate) have had good production between 65-80 degrees (what I would call standard frogroom temperatures). I'm sure others can be more specific on the preferred temperatures of the different species.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
anyone else know/experienced what i asked in my last post, trying to get a general consensus

·
Registered
99 Posts
anyone else know/experienced what i asked in my last post, trying to get a general consensus
It depends on if they are temperate or tropical. IIRC Joshs frogs states 75F and below for temperate and 75F or above for Tropical. They will breed regardless and I have noticed great culture growth with my Temperates between 72 and 75F. My populations seem to bloom in the froglet tank just as much if not more than the Tupperware culture.

I open the culture every couple days to flush air and add food and can say there is a noticeable population increase every 7-10 days.

Not sure on complete lifespan. No idea about mushrooms.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i have the tropicals due to the temp when it was shipped and the temp in my viv. just wondering if there was a hotspot temp wise that makes them breed/grow more as well a particular mushroom/food source that aids in this as well.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
they're not really all that picky... just don't rush it by overfeeding or you run the risk of heavy mite infestation. Be patient, add food as it disappears, and you'll eventually have more than you'll need.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i would imagine once they are seeded in the tank they breed fine, prior to that do they multiply better in the culture or in the tank due to the temps/humidity anyone?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
how do you know if have you mites in your spring's?
You see them. They look like tiny spiders. You'll see more and more mites and less and less springs.

i would imagine once they are seeded in the tank they breed fine, prior to that do they multiply better in the culture or in the tank due to the temps/humidity anyone?
Not sure what you are getting at here. Are you wondering if you can quit culturing after they are in the viv?
Generally you will continue to culture as they get fed better in a culture. They can be wiped out in your viv by the frogs eating them, competition from mites and other microfauna species, etc.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Not sure what you are getting at here. Are you wondering if you can quit culturing after they are in the viv?
Generally you will continue to culture as they get fed better in a culture. They can be wiped out in your viv by the frogs eating them, competition from mites and other microfauna species, etc.

gotcha, that's what i was looking for, thanks.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Any time, Sally. Plus it's good to have those extra cultures on hand for that unexpected froglet, to help out a friend, or to trade for some leaf litter or another species of microfauna.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts