Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I know that Nemerteans can be spread via plants, wood, etcetera, but can they hitch hike on my frogs? I am going to be transferring my leuc group from one tank (that has Nemerteans) to another tank (that doesn't have them) and I was wondering if I could be introducing the Nemerteans from the frogs. Obviously I'm looking to avoid this.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have been wondering about this for a while too. It seems to me the frogs themselves could at least be carriers for the nemertean eggs to get from one tank to another.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would placing the leucs in a container and misting them down with RO water help to decrease the chances that Nemerteans will hitch hike on them?

Just throwing the idea out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My best solution is to quarantine the frogs for several weeks in an environment that will cause any potential eggs to hatch. (Assuming that any other cage furniture is nemertean-free)

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
i have been wondering about this for a while too. It seems to me the frogs themselves could at least be carriers for the nemertean eggs to get from one tank to another.
This would be interesting given that on a visual basis one of the nemerteans that have pictures taken of them are ovoviparous.

I suspect that small or larval nemerteans could travel on a frog particularly if there are small particles of soil or other materials on the frogs (or on the container).

Rinse the frogs with water that matches the temperature in enclosures before placing the frogs in the new tank...

Ed

·
Registered
114 Posts
This would be interesting given that on a visual basis one of the nemerteans that have pictures taken of them are ovoviparous.

Ed
thanks, from what i have read just now terrestrial nemerteans can be ovoviparous. Good thing we dont have Lineus vegetus in our tanks, which reproduces by fragmentation and regeneration... or do we!

Has this common tank nemertean been identified yet? Is it in the Geonemertes genus?

·
Registered
19,312 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
When I moved my tree frogs to a new, nemertean-free tank, I hosed them down first. :p

It's been a couple of months now and no nermerteans seen in the new tank, thus far. :)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to rinse each frog down really well with tank temperature RO water before transferring them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thinking about, I only transfered one time frogs from one "infected" tank to another, a mantella trio, and the nemerteans didn't appear on the new enclosure, I am using it now for several months to raise some froglets and it's 100% nemertean free

greetings!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts