Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My back ground is made of Great Stuff. I thought I would paint it black, then cover it with peat silicone mix. That way the great stuff will not show.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
cover it with black silicone and smush in the peat ;)

james

ive used spraypaint on small pieces of hardware that stick through the viv lid or to paint the outside of the glass and i've had no issues, but it was allowed to off gas for some time

·
Registered
295 Posts
I can never find the safe black silicone.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Im pretty sure most products made by Krylon (spelling) are safe and 100% water based acrylics. Ive seen people use their products without even covering them with a clear coat. Im not sure about this stuff though. Maybe instead of posting the product sale page, find the msds sheet for it. That should determine if it is safe or not.

Have you tried finding black foam instead?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am all ready finished with my spray foam work, and I didn't thank to use black.:rolleyes: I am using black silicone, I thought this way if I missed a spot it wouldn't show up so much. That Do It Best spray paint is made by RustOleum, here is the msds link. RustOleum.com

·
Registered
431 Posts
Isn't black silicone really hard to apply to all of the foam? I just siliconed the back of my viv, and it comes out in a globbing stream. Do you have to spread the silicone everywhere, and then put the peat on, or mix it together. Thanks for any input,
Will

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have used Krylon Fusion for plastic overflows and such inside of my reef tanks and many other members as well on their reefs with no ill effects. and if you thin out the silicone with some Toluene you can spread it much more easier.

·
Registered
583 Posts
work in patches. Put a glob of the silicone on and spread it out, then add the peat. It works quickest with two people, one for the silicone the other for the peat. If you must do it yourself, do about a 1/4-1/2 square foot at a time to keep the silicone from drying before getting the peat on.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A lot of people have also started thinning the silicone with toluene which seems to work well but haven't yet tried it myself. I think GRIMM was able to apply it with a brush after thinning it which would be much easier.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will by thinning the silicone down. I've made some vines this way, and it worked great!:)

Any thoughts on the paint?:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts